General discussion

BD-P1500 DISC READ - NO SOLUTION FROM SAMSUNG

I have contacted samsung several times. I waited to post my comments on this player until now because I wanted to give samsung time to come out with a firmware to fix this or issue a recall. Today I installed the v3.0 firmware released April 28th 2011, which I was happy to see. After spending some time installing it, I popped in a couple discs that previously read, NO DISC. Well there it was again. NO DISC. I contacted samsung again and after confirming that the v3.0 was installed I was advised that I needed to update the firmware.......After informing him that is the most up to date version he said they were working on a fix. I bought this player 2 years ago and I expect it to last more than that for the $250 I spent on it new.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BD-P1500 DISC READ - NO SOLUTION FROM SAMSUNG
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BD-P1500 DISC READ - NO SOLUTION FROM SAMSUNG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
BD-P1500 DISC READ - NO SOLUTION FROM SAMSUNG

thebuicon,

- Collapse -

Doubtful since it plays other discs fine. This issue is well documented all over forums. I have 4 other BluRays players, none of which have ever had to have the optics aligned. One is an old 1st gen pioneer that is going on 10 years. I am simply documenting my issues with this player. For the $100 it would cost to send the player back and maybe have it fixed I could go get another LG, which I have had no issues with.

- Collapse -
Ouch.

" since it plays other discs fine "

We've seen this in PCs for over a decade as the laser or other parts age. At first you'll find one or a few titles not work then more then nothing works. What's interesting is that to hit the price points you don't get machines that work for 10 years. (Except for toasters.)

But let's not give up without a fight. Did you try a CD/DVD lens cleaner?
Bob

- Collapse -
PS.

Forgot the other thing. Look for any fingerprints on the media. Yes, the other players dealt with it but let's note it and look.

- Collapse -

I have cleaned it and no fingerprints on the disc. It will play DVDs fine and older blue rays fine. For example, I bought inception and the BR wont play but the DVD copy worked fine.

- Collapse -
Now that may be the yet another issue.

The copy protection can fail. If you have other titles that work but one that doesn't then it can be NONE OF THE ABOVE issues but the ongoing issue of copy protection failures.

This issue is not a fun one to discuss but ask Samsung if this title is known to need a firmware update to play.
Bob

CNET Forums