Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1500 Dead after firmware upgrade

by rc4321 / February 25, 2011 12:18 PM PST

We have had this BD-P1500 for about 2 years - and haven't tried a firmware upgrade until last night. We found yet another disc which wouldn't play - so thought we should try a firmware upgrade. We downloaded latest USB version (2.9 from memory) from samsung.com.au dated September 2010, unzipped it and put it on a usb stick. Everything went according to the instructions - we selected "yes" - and after 2 or 3 minutes with the updating screen showing - it powered down as it should. Wonderful we thought.

Problem is - now it wont do anything. When it powers up - it gets stuck on "Load" whether or not there is a disc in place. We can open and close the draw - but it just says "close" and never "no disc" or "load". We can't repeat the update because it never gets to "no Disc" and wont see the USB drive. We have tried burning the update ISo file to DVD but the player behaves exactly the same - and doesn't seem to recognise the disc as an update disc. I have also tried holding the FF button on the player for 15 seconds - but that doesn't seem to do anything neither.

So we did have a 1/2 working player - and now have a not working player. This is very disappointing. I have scoured the Internet for a solution - and while several people report this problem - none seem to have found a solution.

Please advise if there is a solution to this problem. As others have commented - there is not much value in paying Smasung > $90 to look at it when there are other models available for much the same price. Until now we have had a very favourable impression of Samsung products and we have several - but this is extremely disappointing.

Richard.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1500 Dead after firmware upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1500 Dead after firmware upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2011 7:14 PM PST

rc4321,

I'm sorry to hear that this happened after the firmware update. If you have already called the Samsung customer service center, they may have given you a transaction number. If you have it, would you post it here? I'll be happy to escalate this issue and see if a manager can review your case.

If you haven't received a transaction number, call 800-SAMSUNG, explain the situation, and they're still unable to assist, ask for a transaction number and then post it here. I'd like to keep your impression favorable, and would like to at least try to help escalate and resolve the issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by afbeefcake / July 23, 2011 1:14 PM PDT

I just did a firmware update on my BD-p1500 and its now doing the same as rc4321 did. I just got a new samsung tv and figured I should update every thing, and now the Blueray player doesn't work.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 24, 2011 4:58 PM PDT

afbeefcake,

Collapse -
by terry312 / October 17, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

I have a similar issue on my BD-P1500. I haven't upgraded the firmware since I installed it, and it won't play a recent disc, so I figured now was the time. I downloaded the firmware upgrade, unzipped it, put it in an otherwise empty USB drive, and plugged in the drive. Now the system freezes on "Firmware Update. Now, Processing... Please, do not turn off the
power. The power will be off automatically after update is finished." I waited an hour, then unplugged the system to try again. It's currently at about 15 minutes. Is there anything I can do?

Collapse -
by rc4321 / October 17, 2011 12:08 PM PDT

I ended up binning my player. I couldn't figure out how to get it going again.. Good luck...

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2011 5:13 PM PDT

terry312,

Collapse -
BD-P1500 Dead after firmware upgrade as well
by BD-P1500Fixit / October 21, 2011 2:17 AM PDT

I have the same issue as rc4321 and many others, BD-P1500 asked if i wanted to upgrade the firmware i answerd YES all seemed to be ok until it auto powered off then came back on but was stuck at LOAD.
Seeing so many with the same issue I think Samsung should release a fix or i see some class actions being setup!!!

Collapse -
Exactly the same issue here
by johnhardstaff / November 23, 2011 4:41 AM PST

I have exactly the same issue with my player. This is clearly due to Samsung's firmware which could not possibly have been properly tested. Your support desk staff seem not to be aware that this is a common problem. In a situation like this I would expect them to be briefed as to the cause and to offer a solution.

How can I get my Blu Ray back?

Collapse -
Exactly the same issue here -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 23, 2011 5:01 AM PST

johnhardstaff -

Collapse -
by someguy0267 / January 23, 2014 11:17 PM PST

Broken BluRay player BD-P1500 caused by firmware update that no longer plays DVDs or CDs. I updated the firmware to 3.1 and now it only plays blurays. I spent 250 on this unit and now it does not work. I did not break it Samsung did. Called customer care and all along thinking that they would fix it until last week after the run around I got. This is a known issue with this firmware update and it's all over the net. I was told to go to company ABC to get it repaired. We'll guess what? They repair Samsung appliances. Called back and told me to go to company XYZ. He has a sign that says Samsung authorized depot/repair. He told me he would not repair it as Samsung has not paid him in the past for warranty work. Well I see now why he won't repair it. I called customer care again and transferred me to executive customer care. Told him what happened and he would send it for review. He asked me if I had a receipt. I said no as it is over two years old and why would I keep a piece of paper after the warranty expired. He said fine. Someone would get back to me via email or phone in 24 to 48 business hours. Well no response after 96 business hours. When I called back I was told I was to send them my receipt. As said before I don't have one and if so I had no info as to send it to. The rep read the notes back to me and said I was to send them the receipt. Not true. Also that I had installed the firmware incorrectly. Nonsense. Just follow the instructions on the screen. I have been in the IT field for 17 years and flash the BIOS replace hardware and install software on a daily basis. Check my profile. The rep did not want to talk to me anymore and placed me on hold. Well I was not going to hang up. He came back and did not say a word and placed me on hold again. He eventually hung up on me. Nice Service. Samsung send me an old firmware file, repair the unit or send me a replacement one. You can tell my two young children why they cannot watch their cartoons/movies anymore. Here is my case ID. 5107477820

Collapse -
Re: BD-P1500 Dead after firmware upgrade
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 29, 2014 10:21 PM PST

Hi someguy0267,

I apologize for your experience thus far. I am having trouble accessing this transaction number (5107477820). Was this number provided by the US Samsung support?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
by someguy0267 / February 3, 2014 9:21 PM PST

This number was issued by the Canadian support number

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2014 10:43 PM PST
Collapse -
by someguy0267 / February 5, 2014 1:28 AM PST

I have been there and have gotten nowhere with their assistance. I've been on the phone with them four times, two emails! They have only given me nonsense. Please direct me to someone else. They have no record of issues with the firmware upgrade. I believe it is known to them and they just don't want to fix/replace it. This outsourced support company must be getting paid by how many devices they turn away for repair.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 6, 2014 11:04 PM PST

Hi someguy0267,

I am sorry for your experience. I was able to locate a Samsung Canada contact and I have forwarded your information to them. The Canadian support team will reach out to you directly.

Regards,
HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?