Samsung forum

General discussion

bd-p 3600 clicking sound

by kenloupa / November 8, 2009 2:52 AM PST

I have the bd-p 3600 firmware 2.05 (problem also occurred with 2.04)--when watching netflix movies, I periodically hear a clicking sound and sometimes see a screen flash for a brief second--the sound occurs even when the player is on but does not occur when watching a blu-ray disc--I have the multichannel sound outputs hooked up but the problem occurred also with the optical digital output too. Video is via HDMI to a Mitsubishi DLP set and video is set to 1080p and 24 frames per second (tv is capable of this). Any idea what this is? It is annoying when watching a film on Netflix to hear the clicking every few minutes. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bd-p 3600 clicking sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bd-p 3600 clicking sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
additional info
by kenloupa / November 8, 2009 8:34 PM PST

The sound is coming from the speakers not from the unit itself. It sometimes sounds like a crackling sound and is accompanied by a quick bright flash on the tv screen. Could it be related to HDMI polling or interference? It does NOT occur during blu-ray playback--only with wireless streaming.

Collapse -
more info
by kenloupa / November 8, 2009 8:38 PM PST

another way to describe it is a popping noise at periodic intervals--anybody else with this issue? any fixes?

Collapse -
more info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2009 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: more info

kenloupa,

I'm not familiar with the symptom, unfortunately. Did this start after a specific update or any event where you can recall it started?

I would recommend having the unit serviced, as that is not normal operation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
more info
by kenloupa / November 9, 2009 7:57 PM PST

I did some more research and found numerous reports of a similar popping noise and screen flashing with the Netflix Roku box, which makes me think it is not my unit--it must have something to do with the HDMI, as I tried muting the TV and the popping noise resolved, but the screen flashes resolved. Maybe there is an issue with the Netflix streaming audio tracks?? What they describe is EXACTLY my issue!

See: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=16936&highlight=&sid=329f75915f82cb1d390544001568eb23

Can you confirm if this issue effects the Samsung netflix blurays as well? Any fix for this?

Collapse -
correction
by kenloupa / November 9, 2009 7:58 PM PST

I meant to say the screen flashes PERSIST when I mute the TV, but the popping noises resolve, so maybe they are really coming from the TV thru the HDMI and not the receiver.

Collapse -
more info
by kenloupa / November 9, 2009 8:04 PM PST

Also, please remember this popping noise only occurs with the streaming Netflix movies, NOT regular bluray operation, which leads me to believe the unit is fine, but it may be a Netflix issue with their encoding????

Collapse -
update
by kenloupa / November 14, 2009 4:02 AM PST

I am beggining to think the intermittent popping noises and white screen flashes are an HDMI issue. Any ideas?

Collapse -
update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 18, 2009 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: update

kenloupa,

That's quite possible. But it's extremely difficult to isolate the symptom in this case. I don't think it's necessarily the streaming, but I might suggest swapping out the cable to see if that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
update
by kenloupa / November 19, 2009 12:27 AM PST

You are correct that it is not isolated to streaming--I see the flashing on the screen and hear the popping also with non-blu ray dvds but never with blu-ray discs--it appears to be related to handshake issues? I am using a high end hdmi 1.3 cable, but I will try swapping it with another cable.

Collapse -
solution
by kenloupa / November 26, 2009 6:22 AM PST

In case this happens to others, the solution to the screen flashing and popping noises was to change out the HDMI cable--I went to a different make of cable (the original was from 2007 but was high end monster heavy shielded HDMI cable)... I put on a current less expensive cable and voila, it is free of flashes and noises now.

Collapse -
Different cables didn't work
by jimmyv13 / December 22, 2009 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: solution

I have the clicking noise with the flickering screen and it has been driving me nuts for some time now. Running this Blu-ray with newest updates with my Mitsu LT-46244 HDTV bypassing my Yamaha HTR-6230, I still hear the noise with the volume on zero. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables on all 4 different HDMI inputs on the back of the TV. I had geeksquad out about a month ago and they suggested using component cables into my receiver because the bluray must have a problem with HDMI and my TV/receiver combo. My direcTV works fine through the receiver via HDMI. I have a 15' v1.3 HMDI cable hidden in the wall from my entertainment center in the corner of the room to my TV above the fireplace so everything runs through it. The bluray does the same thing even when bypassing this cable. I'll get a set of component wires today to give it a shot, but I am very optimistic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Different cables didn't work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 23, 2009 5:10 AM PST

jimmyv13,

If you have a clicking noise, I'd still recommend either exchanging the unit, or having the unit serviced. I'm not aware of this being "normal operation". I wish I could help, but noises are most often physical issues, and there's not much I can offer from my end on how to fix that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
can't return
by jimmyv13 / December 23, 2009 5:27 AM PST

BB won't take it back since the geeksquad said the issue lies with the cabling not the unit itself.

Collapse -
Not a service issue IMHO
by kenloupa / December 23, 2009 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: can't return

If this is the same issue I had, I would better describe it as an annoying "popping" noise--it was CLEARLY cable related, as switching HDMI cables ENTIRELY fixed the issue INCLUDING the intermittent screen flashes--the cable that worked for me was a Dynex HDMI cable--I am running to a Mits DLP TV (73")

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.