Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-HT1200 from Sam's Club: Samsung ignoring this model?

First off, this model isn't even listed on Samsung's website. I assume it's similar to the 1250, but without the wireless rear speakers. It was not listed when I first checked, then it was, and now it is once again nowhere to be found on the site.

This is the second unit I have tried. The first tanked after a failed firmware update (which it prompted me to do upon startup) and I had to send it to Samsung for repair. It came back with the update, but there were many problems (kept losing wireless internet connection, audio failed occasionally) so I simply returned it to Sam's and exchanged it for another. I haven't tried the firmware update (and it hasn't prompted me). In fact, If I go into the menu and check for updates, it indicates that I have the latest version. (I'm not at the machine now, and cannot check the specifics, but the version on my system is the same it was shipped with, which is 1.xx something, not the 2.xx version with Blockbuster and YouTube. Of course, this was the version which failed the update on my previous machine.)

Is this model being ignored by Samsung?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-HT1200 from Sam's Club: Samsung ignoring this model?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-HT1200 from Sam's Club: Samsung ignoring this model?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-HT1200 from Sam's Club: Samsung ignoring this model?

In reply to: BD-HT1200 from Sam's Club: Samsung ignoring this model?

Jack North,

I'm not sure what you mean by "ignored". It's only available in limited distribution. But I will be happy to see if not having it on the website is an oversight.

--HDTech

Collapse -
"ignoring"

In reply to: BD-HT1200 from Sam's Club: Samsung ignoring this model?

Thanks for your response.

When I first bought the unit a few months ago I couldn't even register it because it was not listed under the "models" drop-down box. I called Samsung and a couple weeks later it showed up on the site. Now it's missing again. So, by not listing it in the support area of the site, unless it's an honest oversight, I would describe that as "ignoring" that model.

By not having it listed on the Samsung website I cannot manually check to see if a firmware update is available. (Of course, as I indicated in my original post, I may skip an update version or two, given the problem I had with the attempted update on the original system which I ultimately had to return to Sam's.)

Collapse -
Understood....

In reply to: "ignoring"

Jack North,

The product page doesn't have a section, since the unit is a limited distribution unit. So in a sense, you are correct.

However, the inability to register your product is a different issue, and I will bring that up with our webteam and marketing people. You should be able to register your unit without a hassle. If you so desire, you can also call in a registration, but that's besides the point. I'll see what I can find.

If you do type your model in on the middle box in the Support sites:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/main/supportMain.do

There is a firmware update and downloadable information for that unit. So it does exist on the support site, just not on the product site.

Keep me posted on the firmware update situation. It was tested here, and the results turned out okay. Which method did you use?

--HDTech

Collapse -
HT-BD1200 Firmware

In reply to: Understood....

(First, I do realize I got the model number backwards "HT-BDxxx" not "BD-HTxxxx, but only on this forum, not in my searches of Samsung's site.)

HDTech,
The only download I see on the site is for the manual, which I don't need. May I ask, is there any reason, other than the addition of Blockbuster and YouTube, to update my present firmware? Are there operational improvements? I'd hate to have another update go bad if I didn't really need to attempt the update at all.

The method I used on the first unit was to respond to the on-screen prompt that an update was available, and to download it directly into the unit. I did not attempt the disk or USB drive method.

Collapse -
I now see the firmware on the site

In reply to: HT-BD1200 Firmware

Sorry, I did, in fact, find version 2.07 dated 10-30-09. This is obviously a newer update than the one that ruined my first unit over a month ago. Question still, however; is it worth the risk?

Collapse -
Firmware version?

In reply to: I now see the firmware on the site

The firmware version 2.07 "release date" listed as Oct 30, 2009, just a few days ago. However, the file is labeled "BEv2.07_090923_HTBD12XX_XaAA.RUF" which is, I believe, the same file involved in the attempted update early in Oct. There is also a file size discrepancy; website says "70.34 MB" but the file is 68.7 MB. This might mean the link doesn't actually point to the newest file.

I'm afraid this is the same update that was ultimately performed when I sent the unit to Samsung for repair. That update was the one with the unstable wireless connection and the sometimes-missing audio.

May need to check and see if the web page was updated, but not the download file to which it points.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.