Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Bazooka scanner...any good?

by Willy / September 21, 2004 1:10 AM PDT

I got the free Bazooka scanner from Kephyr software people. It seems to detect the basic stuff but can it really go after all/bigger malware? Plus, it seems to want to update pretty often and when I do, like for example, it may express the update is 12-days old and after being updated now is 5-days old, that doesn't make sense to me. TIA -----Willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bazooka scanner...any good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bazooka scanner...any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Bazooka scanner...any good?
by Mark5019 / September 21, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

never heard of it

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 21, 2004 9:38 AM PDT

As far as I know, there are NO problems with the scanner.

Collapse -
by Willy / September 22, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

It's fairly quick and reminds me of Stinger. Other than what I mentioned, it appears to do alright. I think its great for a quick look and such. I do like the "more info" aspect that it provides to help "manually" remove malware. Thanks again -----Willy

Collapse -
by kiwilea / December 5, 2004 6:36 PM PST

I have just downloaded Bazooka and it said my version was 120 days old and I should update now. Every time I go to do this the browser window comes up with an error message that can not open the page.....any help. have tried to place URL manually and that has same effect. Same with online encyclopedia....not sure what the problem is. Went to zephyr.com thinking I could go on from there but cant!!!!!!!!!! Sad

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 5, 2004 9:19 PM PST

Hi Kiwilea
It's Kephyr , not zephyr but I can not get any of their pages to open either. Seeing as the version is 120 days old and won't update and we can't get anywhere on their website, I'm assuming that maybe they no longer exist. It is not one of the more popular scanners but, then again, it's also not on the bad list. I would suggest using some different ones that are free which we can provide you links for. What, if anything else are you using for protection for spyware/viruses/firewall, etc?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.