Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Peripherals forum

General discussion

Battle of the Cordless Mice

by brykmantra / May 18, 2005 12:05 AM PDT

Two of my co-workers have cordless mice, one Microsoft, one Logitech. They both recently got upgraded to XP Pro, and now whenever Logitech girl moves her mouse, Microsoft girl's cursor moves.

Any ideas on what we can do to resolve this? (Because neither one wants to go back to a corded mouse - ha!)

Thanks ...

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Moving Day
by John46947 / May 18, 2005 12:31 AM PDT

Apparently both mice have wound up on the same frequency which is very odd but Logitech girl has a greater range with her mouse than Microsoft girl does. Simply move one of these nice young ladies further away from the other. The Logitech can reach about 15-20 feet and the Microsoft mouse would be lucky to make it to 6 feet (and that's pushing it).

Collapse -
That sounds about right ...
by brykmantra / May 18, 2005 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Moving Day

That's good to know, and it sounds about right, since their desks are about 15 feet apart ...

I don't know if moving will be practical, though. We're not a cube farm, where we have the whole floor of a building to play with.

Is there something in Control Panel that can be tweaked?

Anyway, thanks for shedding some light on the subject!

Collapse -
Get a new mouse
by apoluo / May 21, 2005 1:07 AM PDT

The most practicle alternative is to get one of them a new mouse. This should solve the frequency problems.

apoluo

Collapse -
Pairing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 12:42 AM PDT

Many of these have a pairing function. This function can be called by other names but the usual is you press some button on one part, then the other to get the two to know each other.

Try that.

Collapse -
Switching channels
by DarkHawke / May 21, 2005 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Pairing?

Following the above procedure may also help because, at least with my cordless Logitech mouse, re-setting the device pairing will also change the radio frequency on which the mouse & receiver base operate. I don't know if the same holds for Microsoft cordless mice, but try the Logitech one first (if you already haven't) and see if that clears up the problem.

Collapse -
Logitech instructions to eliminate mouse crosstalk
by El Alquimista / May 21, 2005 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Switching channels

R. Profitt and DarkHawk are right. This is what is said in the Logitech knowledge base:

Question: ''When I move my cordless mouse, it moves the cursor on the system next to me. What should I do?''

Answer: ''This is called ''Cross talk'' and is characterized by one cordless device controlling the cursor or keyboard input of another device connected to a different computer. To avoid possible interference, try to keep the distance between systems at least 10 feet. Also, moving the mouse closer or further away to the receiver can also improve transmission and performance. If the above fails, try pressing and holding the ''Connect'' button on the receiver for 10 seconds. This will reset the receiver's connection information and allow you to do a first time connection with the receiver and mouse or keyboard. After holding the Connect button for 10 seconds, then press the Connect/Channel button on the bottom of the mouse to synchronize it with the receiver. If you have a cordless keyboard instead of, or in addition to, a cordless mouse, press the ''Connect'' button of the receiver again, then press the ''Connect/Channel'' button on the Keyboard. Perform these same steps on any other Logitech cordless devices in the area that are experiencing cross talk. Another step that can be tried is to remove the batteries for 15 minutes. Then re-insert them and boot the computer up. It is important that during this time, you do not press the connect button on the receiver or keyboard of the other cordless desktop system.

I could not find anything on mouse crosstalk in the Microsoft knowledge base. Perhaps the problem is not so common for MS mice because of their more limited range.

Buying a new mouse was suggested. This may or may not work if you bought a new Logitech mouse, as it could wind up on the same troublesome frequency. Of course, if you replaced the Logitech mouse with a Microsoft mouse, their limited ranges might eleminate the problem, even if they used the same frequency.

Collapse -
PERFECT SOLUTION
by Kryan-SA / May 13, 2011 1:05 AM PDT

This "cross talk"/interference/blocking of signals, call it what you will, has bugged my girlfriend and I for months (a Logitech Cordless TrackMan each). The only solution so far has been to literally shield the receivers with a cloth/file/upturned cereal bowl! and then, move either receiver just a TINY bit, and boom, back to square one with my mouse (the older one) not responding when she moves hers.

Holding the connect button for 10 seconds, first on the one mouse (the younger one, in case you're wondering) then the older one. both didn't respond to movement for about 5 seconds after the 10 second reciever connect push, but then...A MIRACLE! no more problems.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: changing batteries will send you back to square one, but thanks to El Alquimista above, this is a problem of the past!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!