Laptops forum

General discussion

Battery question about IBM Model 1500 - 2611

by Chigal48 / March 20, 2009 11:09 PM PDT

Hi, I have a possible buyer. I want to give him the correct information about the battery. It takes about 4 hours to charge the battery when it's not in use. Should I tell the buyer to disconnect the battery after using it or keep it plugged in and charged?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery question about IBM Model 1500 - 2611
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery question about IBM Model 1500 - 2611
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wouldn't this be a personal choice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

For example I leave my battery in since I don't want my machine to reboot if the AC power drops out.

Another owner may want to "save the battery" and will live with the reboot.

-> So isn't the right question "What do you want?"

Collapse -
Correction to my message
by Chigal48 / March 20, 2009 11:48 PM PDT

I think you misunderstood. I didn't mean "disconnect" the battery, I meant disconnect the laptop!! Sorry. The battery stays in.

Collapse -
Wouldn't this be another personal choice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 12:07 AM PDT

Today's machines do not overcharge the battery so let's tackle this from how this affects our laptop experience.

At the office we leave them plugged in for years. Mainly because we want to be able to go to work rather than fish out the machine and set it up.

At home we might put the entire setup on a power bar and to reduce our power use, even if slightly, switch off when done.

There is NO ISSUE about battery "memory" so that can't be the issue.

-> Again this looks to be personal choice and what experience we are trying to achieve.

Collapse -
This machine was made in 1999
by Chigal48 / March 21, 2009 8:32 AM PDT

So it's not new. That's why I'm concerned. Model 1500-2611 IBM laptop.

Collapse -
Even in 1999.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 9:08 AM PDT

We had nimh and lion batteries and battery management chips in the design.

-> This is all about the experience and the goals. I applaud the use of power strips to hit zero Watts but you seem to be thinking of the bad old NiCad days.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?