Laptops forum

Question

Battery issue Lenovo yoga 710 14lKB

by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 7:39 AM PDT

Hi everyone!
I've been having trouble with battery life on my laptop.
I stopped using my laptop for a week, and just 2 weeks ago I started it up again. I noticed that suddenly my battery dropped from 7+ to 9 hours of battery life, to not even 6 hours of battery life. What happened?

I made a battery report, and my laptop battery supposedly should have a 53.000 mWh battery(which is kind of odd because Lenovo's site says it's 5400 mWh but whatever). Because of the large drop in battery life, I expected the capacity to now have been smaller, but it's actually almost the same capacity at 52,360 mWh.

So what's causing the sudden drop in battery life?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery issue Lenovo yoga 710 14lKB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery issue Lenovo yoga 710 14lKB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How is this measured?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2017 8:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Actual battery life drop, not estimations
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: How is this measured?

I think you misunderstood my question. I know windows battery life predictions jump up and down and is not accurate at all. I never use it.
Instead I use batterybar, which does give an accurate estimation and the total runtime(so just a measurement of how long the laptop has been running). I'm not talking about estimations at all.

With batterybar, I saw that I could reach AT LEAST 7 hours from a full charge, which I could now only dream of. (Im at 40% and the laptop has been running for 2 hours and 40 minutes)

As I've said in my question, I actually made a battery report which clearly shows a drop in performance and runtime of my laptop since I started using it again(after not using the laptop for a week). At first it was a consistent 7 hours and sometimes even reaching 10 hours. Now I get a weak 5 hours and sometimes even 3 hours!

Now the problem is that the battery report says my battery has barely degraded a t all, so that leaves me to question why my laptops battery life dropped so severely.

Collapse -
Let's back up to the battery cycle rating.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2017 9:45 AM PDT

The run of the mill battery is rated at 300 cycles. This is going to confuse those that think battery measuring tools, even good ones are correct. Moving on.

So what is this 300 cycle telling us. It's accepted that the battery is still good if at 300 cycles it has 50% capacity.

Wow, this means that if you use your battery daily you can easily wear it down. I get the feeling you are actually using your battery all the time and not following the ABC rule (always be charging.) Battery time is still precious and to be used as a last resort.

Your actual time is a better indicator of battery capacity than battery bar.

Collapse -
Why is my battery life worsening?
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 11:18 AM PDT

Again, as I've said before, the battery capacity has been relatively unaffected.
After diagnosing with a battery report the capacity seems to be at 52360mWh.

I think always letting the battery charge can break it, I know this because I once forgot to unplug my former laptop at home which resulted in a dead battery(this in a weeks time). Also, a battery is best at the 30-70% range I believe, so most of the time I charge it by 30%. Anyway, I'm not here to discuss what the best way to use a laptop is, I'm here to ask why my battery is performing under what one would expect.

Collapse -
I didn't explain it well enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2017 12:39 PM PDT

The battery capacity is not what is being reported. You proved that. What I did write was how current laptop batteries are rated for 300 cycles down to 50% so if you use the battery, in just a few months you could get to where you are.

It may upset you but I see nothing new or wrong here. That is, battery bar and others still are inaccurate and to test capacity we eat away at the battery life so my view is to never test it in a battery tester. Just be aware that the battery does degrade and only use it when there is no choice.

There are folk that run on battery as a matter of choice and they tend to lose a battery every year or two.

As to the change in one day, could be one cell just went south. Such is how battery pack are. And your doubt will be yours. I have no doubt on this since I owned, ran repair shops for too many years. I'm also an electronics designer.

-> Parting thought. If you see more CPU use than before, track that down.

Collapse -
Skeptical
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 2:11 PM PDT

I'm just curious why you think it's the battery gone bad.
I barely charge my laptop once a day, and had it for two to three months. In comparison I've used my former laptop in the same way for at least year without this much noticable battery degradation.

Also 300 cycles is a lot. Usually these batteries are made for 2 years of use before they go bad. A few months seems a little extreme to me. Just looking through the battery report, I've charged the laptop exactly 23 times.

I understand that a battery can fail during usage, but I'm just a bit skeptical as to how you've come to such a conclusion.

I do appreciate your support though

Collapse -
Ive never "tested" battery life
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 2:14 PM PDT

Also just a side note, I never let the laptop drain from 100% to 0% to "test" the battery. I just use it normally and let it drain to about 20-30% and then charge it as I've read studies that show better ability to hold charge over time when between the 30-80% range.

Collapse -
Tips
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 2:17 PM PDT

If you're right though, are there any tips to best preserve battery charge over time?

Collapse -
Bob's advice.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 10, 2017 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Tips

Is, "always be charging." That's ABC. The 300 cycles is easly reached without this.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
iffy
by gronen189 / October 11, 2017 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob's advice.

hmmm... I'm still kinda skeptical about this... Isn't always charging the battery going to break it eventually? I know batteries won't charge once they're full, but my former laptop actually did break after I left it in the charger for 2 weeks.

Is there any research or technical reason for charging the laptop all the time?

I've never heard of this always be charging and I've always heard that keeping the battery between 30-70% is ideal. I thought 100% and 0% both were bad for battery health

Collapse -
About ABC and iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2017 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: iffy

I would agree with you with prior to a decade ago laptops. Today the charge systems don't actually charge unless it's required and today's systems are even better than ever.

My current machines don't start charging at say 99% but wait till about 80 or 90% then top off the battery.

You can get into a debate over the ideal % to hold a battery at so 80% is what you usually see out there.

Some of this is over at batteryuniversity com, and I try to keep it simple with ABC.
At the office we have laptops that have sat on desks plugged in for 5 years without a break. They are cycled out of service and we often find the battery to be very close to new capacity. This blows a big hole in the idea that leaving current gen laptop batteries fully charged for years kills the lifespan.

Collapse -
As folk find out. ABC rules.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2017 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Tips

ABC or always be charging, that is, be on mains power when possible. Many laptops have a battery life extender that sets the max charge to 80%.

Imagine if your laptop was set to 100% and now is set to 80%. Could explain a lot.

It's well inside warranty. Worth yelping at the maker today.

Collapse -
Still skeptical, but curious
by gronen189 / October 11, 2017 7:36 AM PDT

I'm still not really sure about this always be charging rule, is there any technical reasoning behind this recommendation? I think I would let the laptop always charge if there was someway to just circumvent the battery and let the current go straight to the computer components. I was always afraid of leaving the battery charging because it would create more heat which wears down batteries really quick and would also still technically use battery power anyways(because the charge for the laptop components is still drawn from the battery).

Or maybe laptops already do this when they are fully charged?

My laptop does have a "conservation mode" which only charges the battery up to 60%, but if it just charges the battery and lets the laptop use the battery anyways I don't see any benefits.

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

Today's laptops only charge the battery when required. So to keep things simple we went from Always Be Plugged In to ABC. Which makes it a simple to remember piece of advice.

So there it is. Today's designs don't charge when it's not called for.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
But does the laptop still use the battery?
by gronen189 / October 11, 2017 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

So the battery won't charge when not needed, but will the laptop components still use the battery as the source of current when charging or does it directly draw current from the charging cable?

Collapse -
In most designs, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2017 8:28 AM PDT

There were a few gamer laptops that under full load would tap the battery. It's the rare exception but then the machine would reboot without the battery so it's a good thing the battery was tapped for more power.

-> It's your choice at the end of the day. I really don't mind as folk that worry excessively on this usually end up paying for a lot of things they could have avoided by using the machine as intended. Just plug it in when you can.

Post was last edited on October 11, 2017 9:28 AM PDT

Collapse -
Thanks
by gronen189 / October 11, 2017 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: In most designs, no.

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to do some research online. At least for now, I'll be leaving it in the charger at 60% via conservation mode just so the battery at least won't get to a too low percentage I guess.

I really appreciate the help!

Collapse -
I think Battery University
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2017 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

May cover the old battery and the newer battery and how to treat them for long life.

Another video of interest is this guy the works on electric cars.
So did the battery fully charged damage the battery? Nope.

Let's call this debunked.

Collapse -
maybe I forgot
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 2:26 PM PDT

I don't know if I've mentioned it in previous comments, but I did actually recalibrate the battery before doing the battery report.

Collapse -
Update(Sorry for spamming replies)
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 2:37 PM PDT

Just looked into task manager and saw that Google Drive was eating up about 30% of the cpu in the background. Fingers crossed this will fix the issue, but I doubt it.

Collapse -
That's a lot of CPU cycles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2017 2:47 PM PDT

My DropBox loafs along at 0.1% most of the time.

There's a sure fire way to trigger a lot of Gdrive activity. But I'm going to defer to the web as my thoughts are on the web. Pick from https://www.google.com/search?q=my+google+drive+is+using+my+cpu

Remember this is usually over WIFi which eats battery power too.

I think you've found Waldo.

Collapse -
Solved!
by gronen189 / October 11, 2017 6:36 AM PDT

yep it solved the issue completely, thanks for the support!

Collapse -
Just to add
by gronen189 / October 10, 2017 11:22 AM PDT

I've had this laptop for 3 months and it went from good battery life to bad battery life in a day(technically a week because I didn't use my laptop for a week before this occured). I doubt this has anything to do with battery health.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?