HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Battery icon shows 30% available (plugged in charging)

by acer231 / April 2, 2011 3:20 AM PDT

Battery icon shows 30% available (plugged in charging) Will not go above 30%. If unplugged computer shuts down. HP running windows 7 ultimate. Battery about 10 months old

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery icon shows 30% available (plugged in charging)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery icon shows 30% available (plugged in charging)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
. If unplugged computer shuts down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 4:44 AM PDT

This is in warranty. Be sure to get it fixed.

Collapse -
Battery icon shows 30% available (plugged in charging)
by acer231 / April 2, 2011 6:14 AM PDT

Battery is only 10 months old, computer is about 3 years old.

Collapse -
I'd still ask the place that sold the battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 6:31 AM PDT

Most are good for 18 months. This is an early failure.

Please supply all the details when posting to avoid this in the future.
Bob

Collapse -
Test Battery?
by acer231 / April 2, 2011 4:02 PM PDT

Is there any way to test the battery? I already reloaded the battery control method file. I remember there used to be a way to periodically recondition or test the batteries, but I can find no application in windows 7 for that. Besides the place I bought the battery is 4500 miles away from me now.

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Test Battery?

The battery test I use is to pop in a new good battery. If that works, I know the old battery is gone.

There's other tests such as shutting the machine down and letting it charge over night. If the charge light stays on, there is a failure. Remember the failure can be the brick, battery or motherboard. We always hope for a failure in the first two. The reason for charging with the machine off is to remove any Windows influences.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery life
by Cheron_HP HP staff / April 8, 2011 8:28 AM PDT

What is the specific model of you HP computer?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.