Speakeasy forum

General discussion

BATS!

Well, OK, it was just one bat but it's the second one we've had in the last six months or so. The first one made its presence known by flying laps around our dining room. This second one was a bit creepier. I was getting into the shower this morning and as I started to draw the shower curtain, I saw what looked like a clump of brown hair in between the curtain and liner. Before I had time to think "I wonder how that got there..." I realized the clump had feet and was moving.

I had to get the wife out of bed, trap the bat in the shower curtain with my hands, then we had to pull the curtain and liner down, take it all downstairs and out the back door and shake him loose. Yeech. No way to start a day!

Any thoughts on how they might be getting in and what steps we can take to keep them out? The only vulnerabilities I can think of are:

1. A small (maybe 1/4") hole in the side of the house in a storage area in our attic. The hole was drilled by the previous owners for a roof antenna wire.

2. The windows with our air conditioners in them.

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. My morning shower will never be the same again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BATS!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BATS!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: BATS!

In reply to: BATS!

Look to see if the bat can get into the attic area from outside such as a gable vent. Then, look to see what passes through the attic to the roof such as a furnace flue, soil pipe or such that would allow access to the main part of the house from the attic. The breach could be fairly small. Also, why the bathroom? Do you have a ceiling fan that goes into the attic area? The bat probably did not want to be in your house and it was an accident on its part. They also arent good at flying if they land on a flat surface. I understand they cannot take off like birds that way. It probably crawled in from the attic area once it landed and got stuck. I don't think you can put out bait for them though.

Collapse -
Re: BATS!/and....

In reply to: Re: BATS!

Collapse -

I do have an exhaust fan in the bathroom and I suppose he could have gotten in that way, but I'm inclined to think he got in thru the attic. The reason is that at around 3 AM, we were awakened by a crashing sound. Naturally we figured one of our cats had knocked something over, but the only thing we could find amiss was a softball that had been knocked off a shelf in the attic -- and we didn't see either of our cats up there. We left the door open after checking up there just in case a cat was in hiding, and I'd guess that the bat came down later and ended up in the bathroom.

Collapse -

ok josh any wholes in walls roof is an invite look in chimneys loose bricks etc.

just be carefull they dont want to hurt you your did good releasing outside but bats can carry rabies

Collapse -

Thanks Mark. I didn't want to hurt him either; I just wanted him out of my house!

Collapse -

Areas of the roof where there are gaps seem likely, but they also come in when doors or windows are open for a bit. We had a group of them hanging around (literally) in the stairwells at court for a while. Rather disconcerting.

Probably the best thing to do is to call your local Vector Control Office and ask their advice. But what also seems to work is to go on-line (or ask at the local, large hardware store) for some high frequency, sound emitting devices to plug into the walls. I'm sorry, but I'm due at work now, or I'd find the name on the ones I got for the other house - I'm thinking "Pest Patrol" might have been the name. They emit a sound that is not audible to people and doesn't affect most common house pets, but drives bats and other small rodents and insects away. Just plug them into a wall socket, kind of like a Glade refresher thingee, and they work to get rid of all pests within a large radius in the house. Having used them before, I can attest to the fact that they do seem to work.

Collapse -

Thanks Diane; I've heard of those high-freqency devices but was always suspicious of their claims to not bother pets. I also wondered whether the emissions might annoy a person even though our ears cannot hear them. I'll look into it further though.

Collapse -
About those ultrasonic devices

The article George linked to claims they don't work:

Harmless repellent devices would seem ideal, but none are known to be effective. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency once fined a Chicago manufacturer $45,000 for misleading claims involving an ultrasonic device. All ultrasonic sound generators thus far tested by reliable bat experts have proven ineffective and some may endanger people or even attract bats.

Your experience says otherwise though, so maybe I should do some more research into that. Meanwhile my wife says we have a small hole in the mesh covering the furnace exhaust vent on the roof. That could be how they're getting in.

Collapse -
Re: About those ultrasonic devices

In reply to: About those ultrasonic devices

Interesting! I know that they didn't bother my hearing, and I can hear all sorts of high pitched things outside of the usual range for most people.

Well, maybe it was a coincidence that they seemed to work then. My parents used them also, and thought they worked too. Maybe not.

i do know that they ended up having Vector Control trap the bats at the courthouse to get them out. Wonder if Citronella would annoy them too. At least it would cut down on bugs and that would reduce their food supply.

Maybe you can capitalize on it. Those Fear Factor or other freaky show people were eating bats in one segment. Invite them over for dinner! Wink

Collapse -
Fear Factor

In reply to: Re: About those ultrasonic devices

Well congratulations. I didn't think I'd ever be able to get the image of that bat on my shower curtain out of my head, but you succeeded in replacing it.

Grin

Collapse -
Re: Fear Factor

In reply to: Fear Factor

Josh.. You need a Bat Detector so their signals will be audible to you, then you can track the varmits down before they get in the house.

Heres a link to recogize the sounds. Happy

http://www.batcon.org/discover/noctule.wav

George

Collapse -
Bat Detector

In reply to: Re: Fear Factor

On the drive home last night, I could have sworn I got a photo of this black SUV next to us. It was called to my attention by my husband nodding at it and saying, "I'd say someone has been watching a bit too much Batman, doncha think?" I looked over, and to my amazement, this guy had his SUV with red decals indicating Bamobile and Bat Finder and stuff like that. Symbol for Batman on it too. May try loading onto the other computer since I saw it in the view finder, but it didn't download (may not if duplicate numbers from two separate cameras).

That's the guy you need, Josh! Had I known, I'm sure I could have got you a business card LOL!!!! Wink

Collapse -
Batman and the Batmobile, just for you, Josh!

In reply to: Bat Detector

It didn't load on the Mac because I accidentally made it into a video LOL. But here is a still of Batman and his Batmobile. His motto is on the back, unfortunately, but he apparently goes out on calls. Just the guy for your problem, Josh!
http://homepage.mac.com/alastorspirit/PhotoAlbum8.html

Collapse -
$10 says that guy does not have a girlfriend

In reply to: Batman and the Batmobile, just for you, Josh!

Or if he does, she's blonde, a 36DD, chews gum and has an IQ of around 60.

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) does she have a girlfriend?

In reply to: $10 says that guy does not have a girlfriend

Collapse -
Re: $10 says that guy does not have a girlfriend

I doubt he would let a woman in that car from the looks of it. And if he did, he probably couldn't afford to date her after all the work on the car! It was incredibly clean (no dust even allowed) and he had all sorts of gadgets in special holders.

I felt bad for staring, but then I realized that no one makes a BatMobile to drive around in L.A. in, and expects NOT to be looked at LOL! Me thinks he is taking this roleplaying a bit too seriously. . . I suppose, since it was L.A., that it really could have been one of the stars of the show (not that I would recognize them if it was), but even if that is the case. . .too weird!

Collapse -
Re: $10 says that guy does not have a girlfriend

In reply to: Re: $10 says that guy does not have a girlfriend

That or he's a protege of wacko actress Sean Young.

Collapse -
Jealous?

Wink

Dan
Collapse -

Collapse -

Hi Josh,

I've never had the trouble, so I don't know if I can be of help or not. However, bats are a lot like mice with wings (to me, anyway!) and the exterminator once told me a mouse could get into a house thru a hole the size of a dime. No reason to think a bat couldn't, either!

It was also suggested to plug any such holes and openings around pipes and things with steel wool. They can't get through, and can't chew through it if by chance they are trying to come in. It worked for the mice!

It'd be a cheap first try for your bats, even if it didn't work!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -

Collapse -

Yeah, but "Josh has bats in his bathroom" does not have the same ring to it. We'll stick with belfry if you don't mind.

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
Quick Robin.....To the Batroom

Collapse -
THAT'S what happened, that bat couldn't spell!

In reply to: Quick Robin.....To the Batroom

He was looking for the batroom, not the bathroom!

Whew!

Mischief

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you had a shower lately? LOL!

In reply to: THAT'S what happened, that bat couldn't spell!

Collapse -
look at it this way you wont have skeeters in your house

In reply to: THAT'S what happened, that bat couldn't spell!

N.J. skeeters are big

Collapse -
Re: look at it this way you wont have skeeters in your house

In reply to: look at it this way you wont have skeeters in your house

Not as big as Texas roaches, but yes they can get pretty big. I was just telling my wife how many mosquitoes a bat can eat in a day and how people build "bat rooms" to attract bats for that purpose. Anything that keeps them out of the house works for me!

And yes, I've showered since then but I draw the curtain VERY carefully.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i grew up in plainfield nj

In reply to: Re: look at it this way you wont have skeeters in your house

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) garlic a big cross and holy water?

Collapse -
We had another one last night

Almost the exact same scenario at first, too. At around 4 AM we heard a baseball hit the floor in the attic and roll a few feet. Since we'd sealed off the attic after the last bat we knew it had to be another one and not either of our cats. We also knew he couldn't get down to the 2nd floor, so we went back to sleep (or tried to). An hour or so later we heard him crash into the attic door trying to get out.

At around 7:30 this morning I went up there with a tennis racket, ready to do battle. It took me a few minutes to find him this time. We have paneling in the attic, and where the paneling meets the ceiling there is a border strip. Part of the border strip in one section was bulging out from the wall, and....yup....he had wedged himself in there. I had to go to the basement, get a claw hammer & screwdriver, pry the border strip loose and prod him with the screwdriver until he got annoyed enough to come out. Then Jackie swatted him with the tennis racket. We secured him between the racket and a piece of cardboard, opened the window and released him.

I guess it's time to call in the pros, now that it's happened twice in the last week or so.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.