Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Basketball record broken

by TONI H / February 1, 2006 9:37 PM PST

No link to the story yet, but Epiphany Prince broke the scoring record last night with 113 points...I only could find an older story about her right now.

Absolutely mind-boggling to me......

http://www.dimemag.com/feature.asp?id=1747

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Basketball record broken
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Basketball record broken
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I find it rediculous and insulting
by Rick S / February 1, 2006 10:14 PM PST
The 5-foot-9 high school senior scored 113 points for Murry Bergtraum High School in a 137-32 win over Brandeis High School, breaking a girls' national prep record previously held by Hall of Famer Cheryl Miller.

This is high school girls basketball and there is no reason to humiliate an opponent to that level.

Blow out
Collapse -
I find it more insulting
by TONI H / February 1, 2006 10:22 PM PST

>>>>At the half, we thought she had a chance to break the record, so we just let her go," coach Ed Grezinsky said.

Brandeis coach Vera Springer thought Grezinsky made a poor decision by leaving Prince in the game, the New York Post reported Thursday.

"It's nothing against Epiphanny," Springer told the newspaper. "I have great admiration for her. This was an adult decision. Why would you do this against a team like ours?"

Springer said her team, which has won only four league games this season, stopped playing defense in the second half.

"She didn't earn this," Springer told the Post. "It was like picking on a handicapped person.">>>

that Springer, AS AN ADULT, encouraged her team to stop playing defense in the second half just so she could whine about it later on. As far as I'm concerned, Springer is the one who handicapped her team by not telling them to continue to play their best no matter what the outcome.

Prince was on a hot streak....the fact that her opponents made it easy for her to break the record is THEIR shortcoming and not her coach's decision to let her 'go for it'.

Sore losers crying 'foul' and attempting to rain on her parade....too late.

TONI

Collapse -
Get real ...
by Evie / February 1, 2006 10:31 PM PST

... sportsmanship includes winning with class. Did you notice that one of the other games the other team didn't play the second half? That's what I would have done as a coach -- it's not even SAFE to put players on the court in such situations. I give the losing team credit for taking to the court, but Ms. Epiphany is in for one if she thinks showboating like this is really worthy of honor. Shame on her coach.

Collapse -
What idiot...
by Dick White / February 1, 2006 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Get real ...

scheduled that ridiculously lop-sided game in the first place? I thought the scholastic athletic associations were structured to provide leagues and tiers that had balanced competition. At the collegiate level, Division I powerhouses don't play against Podunk Community College. At the high school level, around here anyway, there are tiers based on school size and previous season record. I think there may even be rules that require a team to reduce the number of players in the game when they are ahead by some large number of points. Yes, competition is good, but not this kind of steamroller...

dw

Collapse -
You have to wonder ...
by Evie / February 1, 2006 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: What idiot...

... but you do have some major mismatches in Division I by design or tradition. UConn (#1 Woo Hoo!) plays several colleges in the state every season. They were saying during a recent broadcast that the small schools go into a pool and request big names to play -- it's a way of getting exposure for their programs I guess. But the worst of those matchups coach let the starters pad their stats a bit, then pretty much rotated the entire bench.

I've seen some pretty bad fouls resulting from mismatches. The overmatched team fatigues quickly and is just trying to avoid total humiliation. They don't have the defensive skills so ... and the injuries go both ways.

Regardless of how it came about, let Epiphany shine for a bit, then either field a team so a GAME can be played or call off the one-person exhibition. Maybe if she feels so underchallenged, she should go out for the boy's team Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
true, seen that here too...
by Dick White / February 2, 2006 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: You have to wonder ...

UVA played U of Toledo (OH) for its homecoming game. I suppose both sides got something - Toledo got some exposure and the players got the experience of a game in the major leagues, while UVA had a sure win to start the day of partying... but to a certain extent college athletics are about the money as much as about the game, unlike high school where it should be only about the game. JMO.

dw

Collapse -
I agree ...
by Evie / February 2, 2006 2:32 AM PST

... my only point was that mismatches at the college level are often by design, and whether sportsmanship or whatever, the better team rarely runs up the score past a certain point.

This should NEVER happen at the high school level. I don't think any of the players on either team benefitted from this one-girl show, including the lauded "record holder". She scored all but around 20 points (don't feel like going back and checking the exact number). That's not even good team play! She's in for a rude wake up call.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You are absolutely right.
by Dan McC / February 2, 2006 12:26 AM PST

What was this coach thinking?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) She has a bad coach
by duckman / February 2, 2006 12:07 AM PST
Collapse -
This was NYC ...
by Evie / February 2, 2006 8:22 AM PST

... so it was on the radio news this afternoon. Included clips of both the girl and the coach. At halftime he brought to her attention the possibility that she could break a record. Apparently it never occurred to him that a record at that cost was hardly enviable Sad

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.