Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

basic info about using a floppy disk?

by Pelicans / June 2, 2005 9:47 AM PDT

I am taking a basic computer class so I will be using their computers. I have to use a floppy disk when I write the exam. They supply the floppy disk.
In order to use the disk, what are all the steps?
I must make sure the write protection window is closed.
Then I insert the disk.
Is there anything else that I have to do to successfully make use of the disk, or to make sure my answers are on the disk?
Is there anything that I am supposed to do before removing the disk?
(I said it was basic, I don't have this experience, and the manual doesn't explain these things, it just explains how to format a floppy disk)
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: basic info about using a floppy disk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: basic info about using a floppy disk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pelicans, What Are You Supposed To Do With The Disk?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 2, 2005 10:08 AM PDT

You've already stated the basics but a disk is meant for "saving" files. I'm guessing that you are being required to create a document or file on your computer...Is that correct?

Is there a file on the disk which you need to edit or write to? Or is the file already on your computer?

If the file is already on the disk, then I recommend opening the disk by double clicking on "My Computer", then double click on the "3 1/2 Floppy (A)" icon to view the file inside. In your situation, you should then choose to "copy" the file to your desktop by RIGHT clicking on the file icon, choose "Copy" from the menu, then move your mouse to a blank area of your desktop, RIGHT click there, then choose "Paste". A copy of the file will be placed on your desktop. (If you happen to damage the file on your desktop, you can then get a clean copy again from the floppy disk.) Open the file by double clicking on the file icon. Add or edit it at that time.

Then after the file is edited and saved on the desktop, simply RIGHT click on the file, select "Send To" from the little menu that pops up, then select "3 1/2 " floppy disk". You will be asked whether you want to replace the other version and as long as you're sure you like the current version, choose "YES". The file will then be copied and pasted to the disk.

The disk can then be removed, moved to another computer, and the file will be there to open and review.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
they haven't told me
by Pelicans / June 2, 2005 10:22 AM PDT

All I am told is that they will provide the floppy disk. I don't know what will be on it, if anything. I am assuming that I will have to create some documents, or maybe make some changes if they have something on it already.
This why I need to know about some of the early steps of using it, because this course (for basic learning) seems to assume that I already know many of these things, and I don't.
I do appreciate any suggestions, it'll be open-book exam, and I can use any resources that I want, including online help. But, I want to be prepared as much as possible, because I will only have one hour.

Collapse -
Pelicans, A Good Place To Research...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 3, 2005 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: they haven't told me

...almost anything, including floppy disk usage, is Google. Click on the link below, then type any subject in the search line. Google will then provide you with a number of websites that you can read and learn from.

http://www.google.com/

If you don't already have the site bookmarked as a "Favorite", I recommend doing so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.