HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Basement Flooded and got my computer

by Poker23King / May 26, 2008 6:14 PM PDT

A few weeks ago my basement got about 5 inches of water in it. My tower sits on the floor and it got wet. It was turned on overnight and I noticed the water the next morning. After several days of drying out I tried to turn on the computer and it powered up, but nothing displayed on the monitor. I am assuming at a minimum the motherboard got fried, but my question is this: I bought a new motherboard and was wondering if I can try to hook up my processor and ram to the new motherboard or would that harm the new motherboard if those pieces were bad also?
I have an intel dg33tl motherboard w/ onboard video, audio, and networking.A quad core processor and 2 GB ram. I also have a different hard drive I will be using, but don't want to screw up the new motherboard. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Basement Flooded and got my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Basement Flooded and got my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe, maybe not
by DerfX / May 26, 2008 8:20 PM PDT

How certain are you of just how high the water level got? Did the processor get wet?

And, there is also the possibility that the power supply is shot even if it stayed above the water level. I would be hesitant to use much of anything from that old box. But, I do think that if you had everything else new, trying that old processor wouldn't hurt the new stuff, but just give you some massive errors.

The problem is, you can never be sure in a situation like this. If the processor were to be shorted in just the right way, perhaps it could draw too much power over the new board.

Collapse -
Definately 4-5 inches
by Poker23King / May 26, 2008 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe, maybe not

Thanks for the response. No the processor did not get wet, just the bottom of the motherboard. There was water marks on all of the furniture, walls, etc. Also, the hard drive seems to have shorted or something...there is black soot on the bottom of the hard drive. I ordered an external hard drive case to try to hook up that hard drive to pull my data off (hoping). I wonder if the warranty on the motherboard or processor would cover such damage? Basically, I am just afraid to ruin a new motherboard by putting damaged stuff on it, but don't have the money to replace everything.

Collapse -
The board's warranty WILL NOT cover it ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 27, 2008 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Definately 4-5 inches

but your Homeowner/renter insurance should.

Personally I would not try an "iffy" component on a good new board but I would check a few local shops to see if they might have something to test the processor on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.