HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Applications forum

General discussion

baseball..... watching mlb.tv on macbook

by emorbius / August 4, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

does anybody else watch mlb.tv on a macbook (1.83)? if so, how? media player, quicktime, flip 4 mac.... and which browser has worked best? all was fine until firefox upgraded!! since then it has been an arduous process trying to find a quality video that is larger than 2'' x 2''. media player (safari)-the picture is not very clear. flip 4 mac has a much more clear picture but the sound is just ahead of the picture. ie; i hear the snap of the ball hitting the catchers mitt, call strike, then i see the play. this happens with both safari and foxfire. the same thing has been happening on my g5 desk.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: baseball..... watching mlb.tv on macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: baseball..... watching mlb.tv on macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MLB
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 4, 2006 11:26 AM PDT

Yep, agree entirely.

Just watched a fres of the archived files, not a member, and note that the sound is a tad ahead of the video.
I also note that the site warns of an unsupported browser when using Safari. At least they give you the option of trying it out with the browser you are using.
One of my local tv stations insists that you use IE and WMP for Mac even though M$ do not support it any more. They do not even give you the choice of trying it!.

Sorry, but all I can do is agree with you

P

Collapse -
MLB
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 10, 2006 8:18 AM PDT

Seems like the MLB switched to MS video last year in a format that is not recognized by Windows Media Player for Mac.
Some say that Safari is not supported there, I have not found that to be the case, and the Firefox is the answer.
That and Flip4Mac. However, there is a bug with Flip4Mac at this site that is currently being worked on by the F4M people.

Walt Mossberg suggests running Windows on your Mac and viewing that way. Won't happen in this house, no Intel Mac for starters.

You could try asking MLB why they chose a streaming format that was no compatible with millions of users, QT operates on both platforms and is a better streaming method, especially with support of H264 video and HD.
You might also remind them that Mac users typically have more disposable income to spend on things like MLB season tickets and boxes. Happy

P

Collapse -
Because
by gilbertwhite1 / August 10, 2006 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: MLB

Mac users don't have to invest a fortune in programs to protect themselves like someone in war mode.

" Won't happen in this house, no Intel Mac for starters." Happy

Collapse -
The was a financial statement!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 10, 2006 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Because

The newest machine I have is a G4 Sawtooth.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.