Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Baseball bat sales are up. Way up in England.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 3:13 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Baseball bat sales are up. Way up in England.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Baseball bat sales are up. Way up in England.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) More effective than a cricket bat or a polo stick?
by JP Bill / August 10, 2011 3:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
I would reckon, yes.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 3:36 AM PDT

Harder, easy to handle and swing, better impact, and seems to be the weapon of choice.

The OP is about a report that a group of Londoners wielding baseball bats chased away a number of rioters. No links that I can find, but I just saw it on BBC News.

Faces: Some of the rioters on Facebook.

London riots: Primary school worker, 31, pleads guilty to looting as court cases start

Mark

Collapse -
I like what they are doing
by James Denison / August 10, 2011 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I would reckon, yes.

Unfortunately it might also cause anyone with a camera in future situations to become a target of an angry crazed mob.

Collapse -
Yep.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

I can't say I'm surprised at the vigilante groups. I'm normally a supporter of the police, but I find it quite hard to believe that so many riots could happen and cause so much damage, without a strong police presence nearby.

I know hundreds have been charged, but the TV news coverage shows TV cameras and reporters everywhere where there are rioters, but no police to be seen. I'm not sure I understand it.

Having said that, the rioters are not using Twitter or Facebook, but Blackberrys, and those messages are encoded. Apparently RIM is now cooperating with the police to 'help in any way we can.

That has put RIM under notice; {Team Poison} fired a warning shot of sorts, threatening to release access to the company's database if RIM shares information that helps the police make arrests.

Mark

Collapse -
People with jobs rioting?
by James Denison / August 10, 2011 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I would reckon, yes.

what the heck?! A teacher?!! No excuse.

Collapse -
More effective than a cricket bat or a polo stick? Yes!
by Paul C / August 13, 2011 7:46 PM PDT

A cricket bat is about the same length as a baseball bat, but is flat, thereby dissipating the impact of the blow. It's also somewhat lighter; less mass at the same rate of acceleration means less force at the receiving end. A polo mallet has a long thin shaft; to deliver a proper blow with a polo mallet, one must be able to insure that the head of the mallet strikes the miscreant. If one misses, then the long thin shaft might well break, leaving one with not much in the defensive department - as well as really annoying the recipient of the blow. Devil

A baseball bat on the other hand is perfect for such activities. It is round, therefore guaranteeing that the force of the blow is directed on a small area, thus magnifying its force. Unlike a cricket bat, it also concentrates most of its mass in the end doing the striking (the barrel of the bat), especially if one uses one of the thin handled, thick barreled bats used by so many major league players.

It's simply a matter of applied physics at work, Bill.

Collapse -
A rather odd stimulus plan
by Josh K / August 10, 2011 3:52 AM PDT

But....it's got people shopping! Devil

Collapse -
Could be used to reduce the unemployment problem
by James Denison / August 10, 2011 4:14 AM PDT

if the police had fired bullets in the right directions. Oddly enough it seems some of these were well employed people, they just thought it was a shopping holiday. From the pictures it seems to be a mostly colored neighborhood, reminded me of the riots in South Central LA.

Collapse -
"Colored?"
by Josh K / August 10, 2011 5:35 AM PDT

Seriously? How 1964 of you. I saw plenty of white people.

And to clarify, by "shopping" I meant people buying baseball bats, not helping themselves to stores' inventories.

Collapse -
Not just coloreds
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 6:06 AM PDT

Two white men in their 20's were charged and brought to court today. Again, no links, sorry. But they were shown on the news.

There will be plenty more white, black, asian, in court by the time this is over.

But I agree, that teacher is a surprise and a disgusting one at that.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) You never let me down James.
by JP Bill / August 10, 2011 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Too expensive,a Hickory axe handle is only around $10....
by Tony Holmes / August 10, 2011 8:29 AM PDT

from your local Home Depot! That was the weapon of choice from my "biker days"...lol.

You do have to be careful if you have a bat/axe handle in your car however,if you're stopped by a cop.According to one of my SIL's who is a Sheriff's Deputy,"cops will view that as a weapon that you intend to do damage with and probably confiscate it".

So I asked my SIL,"Is there any law in NJ that says I can't carry a "power tool" in my car and would a cop hassle me about it"????

"As long as there's not blood dripping off it,you can carry any power tool you want in your car and cops won't hassle you".

As a result,I carry "this" under the hatch of my Scion: http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-271T

If I was cornered and my adversary(s)did'nt have a gun,I would not hesitate to use it to save myself/loved ones!!

Collapse -
What do you think the "victim" will be doing
by JP Bill / August 10, 2011 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: lol, get a nail gun.

while you are holding the Powder Actuated Tool in one hand and the hammer you need to fire the Powder Actuated Tool in your other hand?

You need 2 hands to make it work...and a steady target.

both your hands are busy...the victim is already unconscious/not putting up a fight?

Why not just hit the victim with the hammer...not as noisy...better for a getaway.

Collapse -
yeah
by James Denison / August 10, 2011 12:01 PM PDT

better to have a trigger activated one.

Collapse -
SPOILER ALERT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2011 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: lol, get a nail gun.

The nail gun was used in The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I won't write more than that because I don't want to spoil it.
Bob

Collapse -
James got it from
by JP Bill / August 11, 2011 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: SPOILER ALERT.
Collapse -
Haven't read any of that series yet
by Roger NC / August 12, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: SPOILER ALERT.

although have heard of it a lot.

Collapse -
5 or 6 D-Cell metal body flashlight
by Roger NC / August 11, 2011 8:08 AM PDT

And I have heard, though I can't name time and place now, of people getting charged with a concealed weapon for baseball bats under the seat.

Collapse -
In my van
by James Denison / August 11, 2011 9:21 AM PDT

I have a rolling type pneumatic jack. It has a nice long metal handle with a rubber grip on it. It won't do the damage of a baseball bat, but it sure can discourage someone. I also keep a cane in there for when my knee is acting up.

The thing is, one can't worry about what police may nor not think or say. One has to provide a means to protect himself and family in the absence of police presence. If the law has a problem accepting that, then so be it.

Collapse -
Well, it can be your problem
by Roger NC / August 12, 2011 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: In my van

if you get with concealing a deadly weapon. And they consider odd things deadly weapons sometime.

Collapse -
The law can be screwed up...
by James Denison / August 12, 2011 1:16 PM PDT

...in many regards, but to this day one thing it can not do is give you back your life AFTER someone has taken it when the law was unable to save you. Legalities can be dealt with later if necessary, Death is final, excepting any future resurrection. We can't even depend on the law for properly punishing those who have killed innocents, by taking the life of the perpetrator, which only evens the score, not undoing the wrong that was done.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.