Question

Barton 2500+ shows up as AMD Athlon-A 1100 mhz??? on A7N8X-X

Hello.
I do not know whats up with this, but my processor shows up as AMD Athlon XP-A 1100 mhz on post and in bios its set to 200 x 5.5. It was not always like this, and I am not sure what led it to be tweaked down, and also to be represented as a totally different processor.
What should I do so that system recognizes it as a Barton 2500+?
My system is Windows XP.
Greetings.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Barton 2500+ shows up as AMD Athlon-A 1100 mhz??? on A7N8X-X
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Barton 2500+ shows up as AMD Athlon-A 1100 mhz??? on A7N8X-X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry. Are you wanting XP to ID the CPU?

XP only ID's certain CPUs. It's a pretty short list but I think this was discussed a while back. There is no technical reason to fix XP's CPU identifications. Only cosmetic ones.

Besides the cosmetic issue, is there a real issue to fix?

Does CPUID (see google) get it right?
Bob

- Collapse -
Barton 2500+ shows up as AMD Athlon-A 1100 mhz??? on A7N8X-X

Thanks for your reply.
The reason why I asked is because my computer run slowly (which is not so strange, since he is close to retirement:)) and my CPU was set to 1.1 Ghz. So, it was not only a cosmetic issue, since my computer was considerably slower (now less), and I did not find any viruses or malware present after scan.
Fortunately, a friend of mine advised me yesterday to change settings in BIOS, so I did just that and instead of 5.5x200 Mhz, I put 11x166 Mhz, which are original settings.
Of course, I installed CPU-Z and finally my CPU was recognized as Barton 2500+.
Still, my computer does not function as it used to and it did not came back to normal even after this CPR-CPU thing:))
Maybe the reason is because my memory frequency is set to 200 Mhz (motherboard supports memory of up to 400 Mhz , and I have installed 512 Mb of DDR SDRAM, PC3200, 400Mhz) and my CPU's FSB is 333 Mhz (bus speed is 166.5 Mhz).
Should I do something to change this and will it have any effect?
Greetings.

CNET Forums