Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Banned NFL personalized shirts

by MKay / March 4, 2005 8:46 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Banned NFL personalized shirts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Banned NFL personalized shirts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don we not our Gay apparel...
by Paul C / March 4, 2005 5:51 PM PST

Ahhhh...you beat me to it, MKay!

But anyway, here's another story on it:

Spurred by a case of "Gay" pride, Leigh Clemons tried to order a New England Patriots jersey last month online. Clemons, an assistant professor in Louisiana State University's Theater Department, had watched one of her former pupils, Patriots defensive back Randall Gay, play a key role in New England's 24-21 win against Philadelphia in Super Bowl XXXIX and wanted to show her support for the former LSU standout.

But the NFL intercepted her attempts in mid-February to buy a jersey, personalized with Gay's name on the back, from NFLshop.com, the league's official online merchandise center...

...Ironically, Clemons said, the course she taught Gay last year, Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies, dealt with homosexuality issues and gay awareness.

"I think it's an issue that needs to be addressed, and the NFL should be less paranoid about it," Clemons said. "My concern is that I don't want Randall to suffer from it in any way. He's just the sweetest guy in the world and a good, solid player. There's nothing he can do about his last name.

"I never thought it would amount to all this. All I wanted was the jersey."(Emphasis mine)

The PC police strike again...

Collapse -
Wonder if UConn ...
by Evie / March 4, 2005 8:44 PM PST

... will sell "Gay" jerseys for our freshman Men's Basketball phenom, Rudy Gay?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Only if UConn changes their colors to pink and mauve;)
by Paul C / March 5, 2005 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Wonder if UConn ...
Collapse -
Man this is a reflection of PC times we live in
by Sportsroids / March 11, 2009 4:13 PM PDT

This should have never been an issue. America has become way to hypersensitive to the wrong things. So what if there is a possibility that someone was mocking a NFL team, Gay still remains a very popular American Name. Regardless the NFL has done things like this because they are trying to fit into the times. I am personally not a homosexual but if anyone wanted to get gay pride on the back of a NFL jersey, I say let them. The NFL is acting like a scared child. Rude or lude comments on personalized jerseys should not be a major concern for them. Gay is not a bad word anyways so, do you think they are overacting?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.