Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Banks and others and thier fees

by Willy / March 22, 2006 11:34 PM PST

Geeez, just why do banks and others feel fees are going to make thier services any better. I feel more strongly than ever that such fees are just an outright reach into your pocket for more money. The service doesn't get any better and thier costs aren't going up any faster than anyone else's, so what with the fees. Plainly put, these business are on the wrong track no matter what thier profit picture. Telephones, banks, rentals, air travel, mortages, cell phones, is it just too much ask, why oh why are you doing this? Yeah, I know profits, but it time to hump these PITA's with greed as the driving force behind it all. off soapbox... -----Willy Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Banks and others and thier fees
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Banks and others and thier fees
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bottom line is....
by Josh K / March 22, 2006 11:42 PM PST

....they do it because they can.

They hand us a lot of bunk about ATMs costing them piles of money to maintain and operate, but they don't bother to offset that against the cost of the additional tellers they'd need if they didn't have that ATM.

I hate it too but short of opening my own bank, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than shop for the bank with the least painful fees.

Collapse -
An example...
by Willy / March 23, 2006 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Bottom line is....

Even though I placed banks on the front of the list, many a business want to jump on. Recently, NW Airlines wants to charge passenagers that want to sit on an aisle seat. Woooo, the aisle, now you got to pay for the ailse. Now, you know the seat didn't get any better and smell so good, ;), but it seems a "premium" has to be paid if you ask for it. I think banks will charge for the pens you use if they could when on the customer desk/table. outa here -----Willy

Collapse -
NW Airlines....
by Angeline Booher / March 23, 2006 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: An example...

.... is fighting going into bankruptcy.
The test will be if they drop the seat fee if they survive. I'd hope they use those fees to pay the mechanics. Happy

Now, I always tried to get an aisle seat when there was assigned seating. But Southwest has the right idea.... first come, first served. Happy

I would favor an extra charge for some of the stuff people bring into the cabins, and jam it into the overheads.

But I know what you mean about banks. Do you recall several years ago when they wanted to save the tellers for the big depositers and make the average ones use the ATM? I never use those. I do use a bank for everyday stuff and electronic bill paying (free) but the bulk is with the credit union.

I don't undertand "debit cards". Sure, no need to write a check. But I see folks spending the same time punching in their PINS at checkouts. Too many others standing around that might read those numbers for me. If I didn't want to write a check I'd use my credit card because it offers protection a debit card does not. But, to each his own.

My phone and cable bills have a litany of "fees". I think the total should be included when they advertise X amount of dollars per month for the services chosen.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I use my debit card like a credit card and sign
by Diana Forum moderator / March 23, 2006 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: NW Airlines....
Collapse -
Debit cards are MUCH more convenient than checking
by Evie / March 23, 2006 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: NW Airlines....

Someone would have to GET my debit card and remember my PIN for it to be any good to them. So that's not a huge issue to me -- I won't use an ATM in an enclosed lobby alone at night or anything for that reason, because sometimes someone else comes in and that is just nerve wracking. No way it's as fast to write out a check and have the cashier have to check an ID and write the number on it etc. If I lost my purse, I would be more concerned about a checkbook and any checkcashing cards I had for a supermarket than the security of the debit card. I used to have a few check cards that didn't require ID to write the check. Write for up to $50 over at each place and up to $200 on groceries AIR. I figure a thief could have made out with at least $500 in a couple of places and I don't think I would have any protection. My bank has "credit card" like protection on the debit card.

I use mine all the time. Get cash over -- for free. Basically I rarely go to the ATM at all. I also rarely carry much cash.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Real costs
by Willy / March 23, 2006 11:48 PM PST

Debit cards are a convience but you pay for that one way or another. Regardless of the protection, its still direct access to your money. Its not fake money but real money in that once withdrawn from acct. its gone. Far too many banks differ in how they protect you and many don't offer if any protection and consider it tough luck on your part. Further, debit users tend to spend more when using it and while good for the vendor as said above, once you withdraw funds you may find yourself too quickly lacking. Thus, you kick-in a "overdraw" protection and that costs and if you still wrote checks and they haven't gotten clear yet, those get charged as well a fee. A user can get into trouble easily if not on guard and banks frankly don't care, they want those fees. I have a debit but only for business use in order to keep a record of expenses. Now business debit protection differs from consumer debit and Gawd, I hope I nevr drop my card. enuf said... -----Willy

Collapse -
well yeah anybody can get in trouble
by Rick S / March 23, 2006 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Real costs

with their funds in many ways. The bak isn't responsible for personal stupidity or carelessness.

I use my ATM/Debit card all the time. I'm at Bankof America and with their protection you can not lose more than $50 if your card is lost or stolen.

Collapse -
Me too ...
by Evie / March 24, 2006 5:14 AM PST

... and we have savings account there too, so the balance in checking is kept relatively low by transferring to savings online.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Get a new bank, and ...
by Evie / March 24, 2006 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Real costs

...don't keep all your money in that account. I frankly don't care what other banks' debit card policies and fees are. There are several banks that have excellent ones. Pick one of those. I don't have much sympathy for users who get themselves in trouble because they can't handle a debit card. Let them not get one then!

Where there are limits to the protections on your money, you can choose to keep less money in that account. On the flip side, nobody can spend money that's not in an account!

People "pay" for the convenience of checking too if you want to go there!

Collapse -
PIN is no guarantee of safety
by Josh K / March 24, 2006 6:11 AM PST

My debit card is a debit VISA, which can be used as either a debit or credit card. If I choose Credit, I don't need to enter a PIN.

I never understood the distinction anyway, since the money comes straight out of my checking account either way.

Collapse -
The other day I didn't have to sign my CC ...
by Evie / March 24, 2006 7:58 AM PST

... at CVS. Was told that for under $25 they no longer require a signature. With how lax many merchants are in checking signatures, etc., I find a debit card with a PIN safer than anything you sign. My BoA debit always goes through as a debit card -- requiring a PIN -- except at the gas pump. On occasion it's gone through as a CC, but when I swipe it anywhere defaults to asking for the pin. The back of mine is not signed. So hopefully that provides some protection against it being used as a CC if someone finds it because at least most check the signature panel even if for a second.

In the end there's no ultimate security in anything. Yes, the CC is the most secure, but you can't get cash over which is very convenient. And I've had a few friends that had to make use of the protections when their cards were lost, but it takes time too. But BoA does offer the same protection for their debit cards.

I probably go to an actual bank or bank machine once a month. I don't like to carry around a lot of cash so I like being able to get mine at every grocery or department store when I'm there already using the card to purchase groceries or incidentals. I probably average less than $20/week of spending cash. I don't think I'll ever go through the supply of free checks we got when we opened the account!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What fees do you pay and WHY?
by duckman / March 22, 2006 11:46 PM PST
Collapse -
New fee - bank will charge $5 after 6 automated transactions
by Willy / March 23, 2006 2:18 AM PST

Another one, a cashiers check will go from $3 to $5. Now what costs raised so much that it costs 80%(or is that 66%) more. -----Willy

Collapse -
One way to avoid ATM fees.....
by Josh K / March 23, 2006 3:17 AM PST

....is to use your debit card when shopping and request cash back. There are no fees for this. For now.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Depends on the store and the bank
by Diana Forum moderator / March 23, 2006 8:19 AM PST
Collapse -
The store?
by Evie / March 24, 2006 5:15 AM PST

I know some banks charge for using the debit card, but I've never heard of a store charging to use it.

Collapse -
RE: request cash back.
by caktus / March 23, 2006 10:37 AM PST

It just ties up the retailer's cash flow. An expense passed on to shoppers. Barely phazes the bank as for them such transactions are usually completed in micro seconds regardless the time or date of posting.

I've made no bones about changing banks and letting the BM's know it. Banking has become an extremely competetive and saturated industry. Transfered personal checking accounts three times and savings accounts five times since 1999 and in this time paid I am sure less than $25 in maintenence and transaction fees. And I rarely pay for check printing and pay nearly all of my obligations online with no fees.

Getting out of paying even [required] fees is nowadays liken to getting a CC APR reduced. A polite and tactful call or visit to BM's and often they'll work with folks.

Generally [shopping around] as a way of life tends to pay off more than many folks realize.

Collapse -
Ties up retailers cash flow
by Evie / March 24, 2006 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: RE: request cash back.

Well, some smaller merchants will put limits (like $20) on cash back, or not give it at all. They aren't required to in order to accept debit cards AFAIK. Any cost of this is likely offset by the time saved vs. writing out a check. And it's safer for both the consumer and the merchant than the check cashing cards many groceries offer.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Find a new bank
by Evie / March 23, 2006 9:03 PM PST

Why the need for cashier's checks? I've had to get maybe 10 in my lifetime (closings on home, car purchase, etc.). I think they raise the cost so that people only use that service when really needed!

Collapse -
That is just one reason to use a Credit Union
by John Robie / March 23, 2006 1:55 AM PST

I belong to 3 for convience. I don't use ATM's...never had a need. Having one checking account and doing most of my banking with one CU for the past 35 years, they even give me free American Express Travelers checks, free money orders, and free Cashier's checks because of my longivity (not because of the $$ amount I have with them). My checking account is also free with a minimun $300 balance & pays interest. The only 'fee' is when I have to obtain new checks, but I get them through 'mail order' much cheaper than the CU or a Bank.

Collapse -
They're designed to make their PROFITS better, Willy!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 23, 2006 2:54 AM PST

Service hasn't been number 1 for decades!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Service?
by Evie / March 24, 2006 5:27 AM PST

Decades ago, you could only get at your money 9am-3pm Monday through Friday. Interest on savings accounts was compounded quarterly. You paid for checking. No debit cards. No phone transfers. No direct deposit. No ATM's. No online bill pay. etc. etc. etc.

Life is SO much better now when it comes to personal banking there's not even a comparison. As cacktus suggests, anyone that is really dissatisfied ought to think about shopping around.

The times I've gotten nabbed by the banks it's been my fault. The last instance it wasn't my fault with the last bank, made them my "last bank" and no longer my current bank!

Collapse -
Banks and others and thier fees
by elisagracedd / December 8, 2015 9:02 PM PST

They are just flourishing their own business without care for anybody else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?