Resolved Question

Bank of America does not recognize my computer?

Hi,
I have a problem and was hoping for some good advice. Our company has several bank accounts with Bank of America, and 2 workers on 2 totally different computers not linked together, in 2 separate locations, both encountered a strange message when they tried to log into the bank accts. at Bank of America yesterday morning.
I don't have the exact wording, but when they clicked their normal link that brought up BofA, they got a message stating BofA did not recognize their computer (no their cookies had not been recently deleted) and that they needed to verify the computer by giving out the debit card #, pin, and the security code on the back, or that you could verify the computer by putting in the taxID of the business, or Social Security#.
One employee did not enter in any information and called tech support. They said her computer was locked and gave her a special code to get into BofA. However, when using her normal shortcut she still could not get past that screen. She went to google, got to BofA from there and was able to log into the account.
The other employee did give out the Taxpayer ID but still could not get in, until the other employee told her to get to BofA through google, and use the new password she had gotten after getting into the account.
Then we get a call from BofA fraud, saying we have a virus on our computers and to call them. We called and they said we have to change all of our bank accounts because their computers were showing we had a virus that copies keystrokes and our accounts were compromised.
How could 2 computers in 2 different locations encounter the same problem when logging into BofA? Could the virus be on BofA website? One of our computers does have anti-virus software, I don't know which one.
Thank you for your time.

Discussion is locked
wdwmichelle has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Bank of America does not recognize my computer?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Bank of America does not recognize my computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Bank of America in the news..

wdwmichelle..

All I have to offer is a news item I posted this past Thursday, where the Bank of America was involved. It's an excerpt from an article titled "Bank group warns of heightened risk of cyber attacks" You may find it of interest.

I don't know what happened in your specific situation, but the article may shed some light on it. Or possibly be related in one way or another. Confused

Out of curiosity. You said you "got a call from BofA fraud, saying you have a virus on your computers and to call them". You then said, "we called them". Who is "them"? Is "them" your contact at BofA?

Carol

- Collapse -
Added (but important) note..

Did you scan your computers to try to verify the information you were given?

I would suggest doing so, if you haven't done so already. In addition to your antivirus, you might also want to use these free scanners:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

ESET's Online Scanner - Their FAQ and Help sections should answer any questions you might have. (Temporarily disable your A/V prior to running the scan)

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
Interesting article, thanks

Carol,

Thank you for finding that article. Very timely. We did not call our contact, but my husband spoke with the fraud person, and he thinks they were from BofA because they had all of our information (yes they could have it after using a trojan too). But they did contact our local bank and helped us change our accounts.

Also, we did scan the two computers, and one does have a virus on it. Thank you for the link to free scanners, and thank you for your responses!

Michelle

CNET Forums