Computer Help forum

General discussion

Balloon Pop Word Game - Is it a threat?

by jjjsfam / November 9, 2009 7:05 AM PST

Is this a high threat for a trojan virus? My antispyware detects it but won't delete it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Balloon Pop Word Game - Is it a threat?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Balloon Pop Word Game - Is it a threat?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is It An Online Game?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 7:44 AM PST

Which operating system? Which antispyware program? What and where is the file that is being detected?

If it's the online version of Ballone Pop Word Game, have you made sure you've install the latest version of Flash.. Older versions have vulnerabilities that may be used to transfer malware.

Sorry, we'll need more information to give an effective response.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RE: Balloon Pop Word Game
by jjjsfam / November 9, 2009 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Is It An Online Game?

I checked on Google and it is an online game but no one in may family recalls using it. My husband plays a free mahjong game. Is Flash part of Adobe?

I have Windows XP with CA Security Suite through TW Cable. It shows up as a trojan detected in the quarantine section but it won't delete it like it does all of the other cookies or trojans in the past. I just did a system restore to 11/2/09 but the trojan still showed up on C:Documents and Settings. I scanned that part of the computer but it didn't help.

Collapse -
Suggestion
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 2:00 AM PST

Try downloading the free Malwarebytes program from the link below.. Install, update, then restart the computer into Safe Mode and run a full system scan while in Safe Mode.. Delete anything it finds.. If the problem cookie is not detected by Malwarebytes, run a scan with your other security program while in Safe Mode.. If the problem cookie still is not removed, try navigating to the file in Windows Explorer and delete the file manually.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Balloon Pop Word Game - it' still in there!
by jjjsfam / November 12, 2009 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Suggestion

I did everything suggested, ran both of the scans in safe mode and quite a few things showed up and I deleted them but when I restarted my computer it showed up again. The CA spyware detector says the file is in Documents and Settings but I can't find it myself with windows explorer. I'm not sure how to find it myself. When I googled the game, there is a company called Exterminatorx giving out information but I don't know if it's legitimate or not. Should I run a different anti-spyware program? I don't know the level of threat of this trojan. Should I be worried?

Collapse -
To Find the File, Make Sure....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 12, 2009 8:45 AM PST

...you're showing all hidden and protected files. On Windows XP, RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore" from the little menu. When "Explorer" loads, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options", then click on the "View" tab.. Scroll down and place a dot/check in the "Show hidden files and folders", then UNCHECK the boxes next to "Hide Extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files", then click on "apply", then OK..

You should now be able to find the file in question. Of course, if you're only using the Internet Explorer browser, you should be able to delete all "Temporary Internet Files" and "Cookies" by simply opening the Control Panel, double click on "Internet Options", then on the "General" tab, in the "Browsing History" section, click the appropriate buttons to remove all Temporary Internet Files, History, and Cookies.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks - it worked!
by jjjsfam / November 14, 2009 12:28 AM PST

My daughter managed to get it into the quarantine folder and deleted it. We also deleted all of the temporary internet files and cookies. There were quite a few! Thanks again. I'll save all of this information for the future in case it happens again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!