Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma

by jabarnut / March 30, 2004 11:59 AM PST

I have four Computers here, all running XP Pro.
On three of them, clicking on "Start/Turn off computer" gives three options in the shutdown screen:
(1)Standby
(2)Turn off
(3)Restart
The fourth Computer also has three options, only they are:
(1) Hibernate
(2) Turn Off
(3) Restart

I realize on the computers with the Standby option, holding down the shift key will allow you to select Hibernate instead of Standby.
What really has me baffled, is the Computer that has ONLY the Hibernate button as one of the three options.

Furthermore, I've checked everything in power options, ACPI, APM etc...(Including the BIOS), and everything seems to be enabled and working properly.
Also, the "Standby" option is not available in the advanced Power Options (Power Schemes),where you can select various actions and time periods for Standby, Hibernate etc to take effect.

Is it even possible that a Computer can have support for Hibernate and NOT for Standby?????
This seems unlikely in so much as Hibernate is the more "advanced feature" considering it saves everything from memory to your hard disk so all your settings start back up the way they were left.

The ONLY thing I can think of at all is that the Computer with no Standby option has the oldest Motherboard....Yet, still has advanced power management capabilities enabled and the Hibernate option.....Any theories???

I'm totally stumped. All my searches turn up people complaining about the exact OPPOSITE problem. (Usually because they are unaware that holding the Shift Key down will give them their Hibernate option from the Standby Button).
Figure this one out and you get the "Super Tech of the Year" award.

One last thing...Just for the heck of it, I unchecked "Enable Hibernation" on the suspect computer...The result was a DIMMED standby button instead of a WORKING Hibernate Button!
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a solution...
by Tom Aikman / March 30, 2004 12:24 PM PST

...but personally, stand by/hibernate is useless. I either leave it on or turn it off. If I leave it on, I shut the monitor off.

Good Luck, Tom

Collapse -
Re:Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 2:35 PM PST

Hi. My theory is ... the advanced power configuration interface is buggy! In the past I've had similar situations to yourself. It seems to me that some of your motherboards may not be totally ACPI compliant, as far Windows XP sees it. It's also possible one or more of your keyboards aren't either. Perhaps one of them emits the wrong keyboard scan code when the standby button is pressed, or maybe the keyboard isn't totally plug-and-play. These are the conclusions I've come to over the past few months. Another thing, adjusting the Power options in XP is quirky, but should be done by somebody with Administrator rights. I've just solved my problem, of the missing Standby option in one user's profile, by logging on as that User but adjusting the power options by running POWERCFG.CPL as an Administrator, then mysteriously all the options appeared and so far the settings have stuck. Forgive me if you know this, but to run POWERCFG.CPL as an Administrator enter the following in the RUN dialogue, the syntax is critical:

runas /user:administrator "control.exe powercfg.cpl"

... press return, and enter the Administrator's password when prompted. Regards

Collapse -
Re:Re:Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
by jabarnut / March 30, 2004 8:28 PM PST

Thanks guys-
Yes, I agree that the ACPI is buggy at best. My searching has shown a WHOLE lot of questions concerning machines that won't wake up etc.(Or worse!)
I have tried the Administrator options Rollo but to no avail. Thanks for the suggestions though.
I too believe it is not only the quirky Software, but also a hunk of Hardware that isn't "playing" well.(My most likely candidate is the Motherboard, which is not only the oldest but also has the oldest Bios)
I'm sure not going to Flash the thing just because this is "bugging" me though.
As you mentioned Tom, it's not something that gets used anyway here. (I have Monitors set to shut down, but all disks set to "Never").
It's more the mystery of it that bothers me! To have the Hibernate button visible and working properly but no Standby option is just to weird...(it's just the opposite of what most people complain about! (Anyway, you would have to talk to my wife to understand...I drive her nuts too!)
Thanks again...I'll experiment a bit more, then just chalk it up to a Windows "Bug"- (Oh sorry, I meant "feature"). Happy
I mean, Windows wouldn't be Windows without them right?
Look forward to the new SP2 due out some time soon, so I can gain even more experience trying to get things working right! Wink
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Here's the way it works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2004 8:42 PM PST

The builder of the machine such as HP, Dell or whoever fixes this issue before it gets delivered. If you build your own machine, then your standby might or might not work. To give it the best chance of working, a simple set of steps are required, but won't do any good if the maker of one of the computer system parts didn't put hibernate code in their driver. Some don't since it's a desktop and the boss wants the driver by monday.

1. The latest BIOS is installed.
2. The BIOS defaults are set and then your settings and if you see it, ACPI is selected.
3. The OS is installed since for the Windows NT/2000/XP OSes, the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) is selected during the install. There is an article about changing the HAL later.
4. Drivers for motherboard, video, usb, audio and more are installed.

Usually it works, but sometimes you find an odd video or other driver doesn't support standby/hibernate or such.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Here's the way it works.
by jabarnut / March 30, 2004 10:00 PM PST

Thanks Bob-
You must be a mind reader. Out of the four Machines, two I built myself. One of them being the Computer without the standby option.
Your first suggestion about the latest Bios I think is a biggie in this case. It was borderline to begin with when I changed the OS to XP- (Clean install). Just didn't feel like flashing it at the time.
The other stuff...Bios defaults, ACPI selected, etc. duly noted and done back when I built it. (Not to mention a bunch of other "quirks" like DMA and ACPI being disabled at the time by default)
To be honest, I'm not even sure if it's always been this way...Only just noticed.
Again, it's not important enough to me to pursue this much more, but I certainly appreciate your comments and observations.
And you've also confirmed that this is no "set it and forget it" feature without various unforeseen problems.
Thanks again!

Collapse -
Re:Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
by Cetin Denislam / March 31, 2004 5:30 AM PST

Jabarnut,

>>Is it even possible that a Computer can have support for Hibernate and NOT for Standby?????<<

Your story tells that's possible. It was also reported (on January 2002) in the Computer Cures Forum (now in ether, o tempora).

>>To have the Hibernate button visible and working properly but no Standby option is just to weird... it's just the opposite of what most people complain about!<<

Yep, true the opposite is frequently asked.

>>It's more the mystery of it that bothers me! Figure this one out and you get the "Super Tech of the Year" award.<<

Yup, amazing, I think that the award worth because I see that there's no posted page (did a Google search, knowing the solution). I figured this out around mid 2002. It's a registry setting that's neither accessible by a control applet nor by a policy setting.

For example, by unchecking "Enable Hibernation" box (from Power Options applet), the equivalent it's a change from 01 to 00 in two registry places. However, if the above it's doable by either a GUI procedure - or - registry change (in the correct paths), showing back the missing Standby option could be done by using only a registry change.

>>Anyway, you would have to talk to my wife to understand...I drive her nuts too!<<

Are you saying that your wife isn't right ? A wife is always right !! Wink

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
by jabarnut / March 31, 2004 7:15 AM PST

Thanks for that information Cetin! Very interesting.

Since my first post, I actually did yet some more research and I think the problem in this case originated from too old a Bios.
I ran an "XP readiness test" just for the heck of it even though it's running XP fine already...(Fooled them huh?) Silly

Everything came back great except this:
"Microsoft says some BIOS--particularly those created before January 1, 2000--may not be able to take full advantage of Windows XP's hibernation and power management features."

Didn't think the Bios was that old, but I went and read the latest AMI-Bios release notes for this particular motherboard, and wouldn't you know one of them said: "Fixes the standby selection of the start menu which may become inactive after installing Windows XP"
Bingo!

You know what though? While I've successfully Flashed more than one Bios in the past, I think I'll just leave well enough alone...No sense possibly turning a minor irritation of a feature I won't use into something a whole lot worse! Shocked
As mentioned too, even with a Bios Flash, there's a chance the OS would have to be reinstalled as it sets up this stuff while examining the hardware configuration during installation unless I'm mistaken.

Thanks for the input!
Now....I'll go tell my Wife She's usually right after all. Wink

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
by jabarnut / March 31, 2004 7:33 AM PST

Sorry about the extra post folks...Wish you could edit a post around here.
Anyway Cetin...I almost forgot- I'm giving you the "Super Tech of the year award" for that amazing piece of information.....That certainly took some investigative powers. Wink
Now that you mention it, XP was first installed on this Computer in 2002 if I remember correctly....May have been more similar problems found in a search back then! (Hehe..Beleive me, I did my share of Google Searching before my post).
Take care!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Baffled by Standby/ Hibernate Dilemma
by xcks / April 2, 2004 4:00 PM PST

Since a crowd has gathered, may as well see if any single people are about. hehehe

FOR SALE BY OWNER Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica. 45 volumes. Excellent condition.$1,000.00 or best offer. No longer needed. Got married last weekend. Wife knows everything.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!