PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Bad Ram, or Motherboard?

by darkzenlord / May 28, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

So begins an unusual build. Put together a custom PC for a buddy of mine. During OS install got several errors regarding memory stops and could not read sections. After several reboots. Was able to install OS and use it normally. Next day, started it up cold and OS would not load, start-up recovery manager did. Ran Memtest86 found a stick was erroring out every single test. Took the stick out. System booted fine and OS ran smooth. Next day, cold started the machine, OS would not load. Ran Memtest86, found errors. Took stick out of slot A and put it into slot B, ran Memtest86 again, no errors. OS loads fine. Operates fine. Shut system down for an hour. Started it back up. Tested Ram again, found errors. Swapped the stick slot, booted fine.
Ran a Burnin test on the RAM in OS and it found errors every time, but far less then Memtest86.

-My guess.
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 r1.0 and the RAM is Corsair VS2 1333. The RAM is not on the approved list so I ordered RAM that was. Have not received it yet, but the results I have been getting would lead me to believe it could be the motherboard as well. I have already condemned the RAM and sending it back. However, I would be wasting RMA time if the mobo is bad.

Nutshell question- What does it mean when the RAM tests bad after a cold boot, but after swapping slots, tests fine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bad Ram, or Motherboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bad Ram, or Motherboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried any other RAM tests ?
by VAPCMD / May 28, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

Did you check the BIOS Settings for timing, voltage, etc., ?

Did you contact the RAM mfg ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Bios
by darkzenlord / May 28, 2010 12:02 PM PDT

The bios settings are set to default, except gigabyte by default enables RAM "turbo" mode. So I set it to off. So everything in Bios is set to defaults, no overclocking. I have read on several forums about cold boot issues with gigabyte boards and commonly Corsair RAM. Like I said before, I got "approved" RAM coming.

Followup Question- If it were the motherboard, wouldn't it not work at all? Can it be intermittent?

Collapse -
Yes....can be intermittent.
by VAPCMD / May 29, 2010 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios

If it were mine I'd contact the MB mfg and the RAM mfg to get their recommendations. Perhaps increasing the RAM voltage might help.

I'd might also try another RAM test just to be sure.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
The tests are in
by darkzenlord / May 30, 2010 6:51 AM PDT

The tests are still coming up bad after a cold boot. The OS is most likely not booting due to the Memory errors. After a DIMM swap the memory will pass a 15 minute test. I use Memtest86 to test my RAM and I trust it's results. However, if a RAM tests bad, it could still be the MB. I have contacted Gigabyte Last Thursday and they have not wrote back.(way to go 24 hour rule).

Will let you know when the new (approved) RAM gets here.

Collapse -
Are you terminating the test or does it go bad after 15 mins
by VAPCMD / May 30, 2010 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: The tests are in
Collapse -
What I did

I terminate the test after 15 minutes of no errors. I still have to configure this machine for a friend. I also used Burnin test in the OS to test RAM and CPU functions. The Burnin Test finds issues with the RAM in the OS within 15 minutes. The issue has now presumably become where the issue actually is. The RAM or the Mobo? We will find out soon enough, I have the New Ram coming and if that flunks, I will RMA the board.

Collapse -
(NT) Ok....will be standing by for update.
by VAPCMD / May 30, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: What I did
Collapse -
Prelimenary Test complete
by darkzenlord / June 1, 2010 8:24 AM PDT

Got the New RAM today. Threw it in before first boot. System came up and booted right into Memtest86. Tested for 1 hour and found no errors. Booted into OS right after, Ran BurnIn Tests on RAM, found no errors.

With the other RAM I would get an error by now. So I am confident the RAM is good and not an issue. Like I said, this is preliminary testing, any errors popping up in the next 36 hours will prompt an RMA of the motherboard.

I speculate the errors came from the other RAM, not that the RAM was bad, but it could have been a compatibility issue. Voltages are often brought up when researching this issue. It is just possible the Corsair was not getting what it was supposed to. However all tests at this time report 0 errors.

Collapse -
Good to hear.... what brand/model RAM didn't work and
by VAPCMD / June 1, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

brand/model did work? Posting that specific info might really help someone in future.

To make sure....run the RAM test overnight....you want more than 1 hours worth of testing if possible and better now than later.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, I want to know exactly what RAM worked
by Ol Rod / June 2, 2010 1:07 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?