Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Bad problems

I recently Bought a Brand new PC, a HP Pavillion t540.uk. As you can imagine, being new I'm very anxious about it, and a newly developed problem has my hair coming out!

Yesterday it Claimed it had run out of Virtual Memory, and everytime I close internet explorer it sais there was a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, The Memory could not be "Read", After this my MMORPG (online game) is really slow and so is the whole PC. It has over a Gigabyte of Ram, whats happening?

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ (newcastle)
1024MB DDR RAM
128MB ATI Radeon 9200SE AGP
120GB 7200rpm Maxtor Diamond HDD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bad problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bad problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Bad problems

In reply to: Bad problems

Just a little update on the message, it Exactly sais The instruction at "0x0160040dd" referenced memory at "0x016040dd". The Memory Could not be "read"

Click on ok to terminate the program

Collapse -

In reply to: Bad problems

Have you scan for parasites & viruses?

Since it's a brand new PC why not call HP Tech Support and make it their problem?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Bad problems

Because It's warranty was void as soon as I opened the case to put in that extra 512mb, it only had 512 stock but I upgraded it to 1024MB, so is it not their problem anymore?

Collapse -

I would open the case, remove the new memmory chip and see if the problem is still there. If Not you prpobably got a bad memmory chip. This is not unheard of. If the problem still is there with only the chip from HP,Give them a call, They are usually good about thier service.

Collapse -

I have run a full virus check, and everything ok, no ad-ware or spyware. I tried both memory modules separetley including the OEM Chip, Still having the Problem, any more Ideas or suggestions because I have had loads of problems with THis PC and HP have never solved my probles, Ive had to buy new stuff. I think this is a software problem.

Collapse -

have you tried system restore or sfc /scannow? these are 2 things i would try first then i would get the usual suite of parasite removers david has mentioned. if you dont protect yourself you are in for big trouble in the future.

Collapse -

1. Test your memory modules separately using memtest86.

2. Look in Event log and find out Event ID and Event Source. Goto Eventid and check for similar problems.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

I very much doubt that HP will not honor the warranty just because you've opened the case to add a stick of RAM.

If you call for Tech Support more than likely you'll be instructed to open the case and reseat the RAM or other devices. Such is the case with DELL's Tech Support!

As already suggested you should remove the new RAM and retest as well as perform the RAM test with memtest86.

Also remove the new RAM and call HP for assistance.
You don't have to reveal that you've added the RAM.

Or since it's brand new you could also do a full recovery back to factory installed state to see if that solves the problem.

Collapse -

I work for DELL tech support for putting in new memory does not revoke your warrenty they will probably have you put the ones that came with the machine if it does do it with the the HP memory its not a memory problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.