TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bad Pixel - Return or not???

I took delivery of a Sony KDL-46z4100 yesterday and found a single small spot on the lower right corner where a continuous white spot exists. It is noticable when it is black or dark there, but not when white or light colors are shown there.

It has been suggested this is a single pixel stuck on white.

I got it from J & R music which will allow me to return it if defective without additional shipping charges. My question is whether this is what manufacturers or retailors consider a defect, such that I should consider returning it? Is there a technical fix for such a thing? Or should I just not worry about it and chalk it up to the vagaries of an LCD purchase.

Thanks in advance for input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bad Pixel - Return or not???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bad Pixel - Return or not???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at that screen very closely. LCD screens need high

In reply to: Bad Pixel - Return or not???

quality but are not perfect. They pass inspection when rates of bad pixels are low.

Only one bad pixel is a low number, one that I would chalk up to vagaries of the market.

I once got an LCD that was defective & the picture starting going into terrible territory after just about three days. Boy, did I ever return that during the big box 30 day grace period. No arguments, etc. Problem Is, I assume they just sent it out the door with the next customer as they paid no attention to my starting to describe the horror story.

I was very surprised as it is a Panasonic LCD & the replacement has been perfect for 5 years now.

In general, be cautious to keep all cardboard boxes, plastic wrappings, plastic ties, etc. for potential return until you go past the point of being nervous about that.

Collapse -

Bah! If you can return that and get a new one free of charge do it! It would be foolish not to. You spent the money for it so you should get what you paid for.

Collapse -
swap it out

as to the question re mftr's position on "defective" tv's: to the best of my knowledge they have different tolerances/QC. Some allow more defective pixels before considered as defective, whereas others will only allow a few. What I read, and that could be misleading... im sure a dead pixel is a lot easier to forgive than a WHITE pixel. IMO, a single white pixel should be good enough to be considered defective.

you bought from a respected online retailer. take advantage of their cs.

Collapse -
No guarantee...

I feel your frustration. I received a KDL-46XBR4 about a year ago, and I noticed a single stuck pixel (turquoise color) in the mid to upper right hand side of the screen. It bothered me for a bit, but I don't even really notice it now. Especially when I'm sitting back and watching TV. Luckily, the pixel goes black in dark screens. Either way, if your screen is large enough, it's hardly noticeable. Only you will know it's there, which sucks, but there's no gaurantee that the next TV won't have any or it might have even more.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.