Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bad movie physics

by EdH / January 21, 2008 8:30 PM PST
LINK
Some insultingly stupid movie physics are so commonplace as to make it inefficient for us to rail about individual instances. They have become visual clich
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bad movie physics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bad movie physics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I reckon....
by Angeline Booher / January 22, 2008 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Bad movie physics

..... it could also depend on why one watches movies,

I usually just like to be entertained, Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I've heard that comic books sometimes commit a similar
by Kiddpeat / January 22, 2008 8:14 AM PST

offense. Not that I've actually seen that myself of course.

Collapse -
PLEASE !!!
by critic411 / January 22, 2008 8:40 AM PST

Don't tell me Superman can't really fly !?!?!?

Collapse -
Believe me, very few people in the comic book biz...
by EdH / January 22, 2008 9:14 AM PST

know squat about physics. And those who do just look for ways to bend the rules.

Collapse -
When I was a kid
by Dragon / January 22, 2008 11:21 AM PST

I remember reading a Superman funny book, in which an astronomer had seen a huge meteor coming towards the earth, traveling faster than the speed of light. He contacted Superman who verified it, with is super vision. I knew at the time, that IF there were such a thing moving faster than C, then nobody would be able to see it...

I sure wish I knew at the time to save my funny books...

Collapse -
I didn't read too much at Ed's link....
by Josh K / January 22, 2008 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: When I was a kid

....but who among us hasn't seen a movie that takes place in outer space, where something explodes and you hear the blast? The only film I can think of that got that right was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Collapse -
The Death Star!
by EdH / January 22, 2008 11:30 PM PST

They did a lot of that in Star Wars. Practically ruined the whole series for me. But it would have been dull without the sounds.

Collapse -
The highpoint of my short career was building the soundtrak
by Kiddpeat / January 23, 2008 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: The Death Star!

of a short portion of StarWars from scratch. The sound was GREAT! A VERY satisfying project.

Collapse -
The worst Sci-Fi I ever saw for those
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 11:42 AM PST

kind of mistakes was The Black Hole. Have you ever seen slower decompression and out gassing into the vacuum of space? I guess it's OK for a kid's film, but seeing it more than once will make you long for Space Balls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole

Collapse -
I'm surprised they would make a blooper like that....
by EdH / January 22, 2008 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: When I was a kid

The letters pages always had fans writing in to correct such mistakes.

I used to have a ton of old Superman and related comics (Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane...) But I got tired of them and was going to dump them, until...one day my dad got sick of me leaving them around so he confiscated the lot and burned them out back! This was after a couple thousand times telling me to pick them up or else.

I was so angry that I determined to build an even bigger collection. Which I did, but by them my tastes had changed and I started buying the Flash and Green Lantern, and later, Marvel's comics, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

After that There was no going back. I was doomed. Then I appalled my parents even more by telling them I wanted to become a comic book artist. To them that was like saying I was going to run away and join the circus to be a sideshow freak! But I did it and worked in comics for over 20 years to everybody's amazement, including mine.

The comics that burned would have been worth a fortune except for my odd habit of tearing the covers off and discarding them. Not sure why I used to do that.

Collapse -
That's Hollywood dude
by Willy / January 22, 2008 10:47 PM PST

If anyone confuses movie effects(physics) with real life then they got other problems. Afterall, that's Hollywood stuff and "artistic license" has always been free rein.

I like the show MythBusters which seems to try to dispell so-called Hollywood effects as well as real-life myths. The small bullet in gas tank was shown not too long ago. The hot water tank explosions that got real interesting. While, I don't approve of some of their methods and real-life proven examples exist they seem to at times "bust" it as "they can't duplicate it on demand, though they try. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
could only agree more--they are movies
by WOODS-HICK / January 22, 2008 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: That's Hollywood dude

that link was for 'propeller' hats. hey somebody has to do it. somethings should always be left as 'magical'.

for example: if you pull the petals off a rose, do you still have a rose.

movies are escapes to somewhere else including documentaries and boring how-tos'. that is their appeal.

Collapse -
I recently saw the new Die Hard film
by Josh K / January 23, 2008 1:40 AM PST

There are a zillion stunts in that movie, any one of which would kill a person if it was really happening. I think Bruce Willis tore his shirt.

But the absurdity of the stunts was what made it so much fun. "24" is like that too.

Collapse -
what a coincidence
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 10:38 AM PST

I'm sitting here watching it right now on DVD. They just blew up the power station and......well can't spoil it for those who haven't seen yet.

Collapse -
the big truck, the plane
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 11:34 AM PST

and the highway. I agree, totally unreal by then. If the wife wasn't so much into watching it I'd probably have just turned it off at that point. Makes you want to go watch "Lassie".

Collapse -
We were laughing out loud during that scene
by Josh K / January 24, 2008 10:13 PM PST

It was completely ridiculous but that was the fun of it.

Collapse -
the great escape* where
by WOODS-HICK / January 24, 2008 10:30 PM PST

you can watch The Great Escape (1963).

was any actor ever cooler than steve.

*movies, vicarious redundancy or pleasure. I pick the latter besides some are so bad they are good. few things in life are in that category.

Collapse -
This isn't Kansas anymore Toto
by Willy / January 23, 2008 11:58 PM PST

I really hate to use the "Star Trek" series but it has done something not many movies has, restarted the space program. When back in the '70s+'80s, things really were pretty low for US space pgms.. Some scientists and govt. agencies attribute its influence to help fuel public opinion and get things going again.

As a side note, a book was written that explain possible links to theory and science that ST used was possible if not now in the future. The best example is the original ST using plastic(disks?) as memory storage, the smart card is the exact same item and it works. That impulse engines are "ion types" which is being used now and will reach at least 10% speed of light on a constant basis. That "artificial intelligence" has already been used in space probes to allow actions far quicker than relying on grd. ground as time&distance make it impossible for quick actions. -----Willy

Collapse -
was it ever? asked the tin man
by WOODS-HICK / January 24, 2008 8:33 AM PST

I had to go back to find out when ST hit the waves ( 66-69 ). I was at the age that I was not watching tv series that much. 19 to 21. what was happening out on the streets was far more interesting.

'flash gordon' inspired me in the '50s & 'early '60s.

"Flash Gordon is a 1936 film serial which tells the story of three people from Earth who travel to the planet Mongo to fight the evil Emperor Ming the Merciless. Buster Crabbe, Jean Rogers, Charles Middleton, Priscilla Lawson and Frank Shannon played the central roles. This serial has been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon_%28serial%29

JFK set the goal of going to the moon. the 'apollo program' completed that dream.

"The Apollo program was a human spaceflight program undertaken by NASA during the years 1961 ? 1975 with the goal of conducting manned moon landing missions. President John F. Kennedy announced this goal in 1961, and it was accomplished on July 20, 1969 by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin during the Apollo 11 mission. Five other Apollo missions also landed astronauts on the Moon, the last one in 1972. These six Apollo spaceflights are the only times humans have landed on another world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program

I agree that ST and many other earlier sci-fi medium has kept the space program going but these other factors put ST on the launch pad.

the most thought provoking occurred right in the middle:

"2001: A Space Odyssey is a 1968 science fiction film directed by Stanley Kubrick, written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke. The film deals with thematic elements of human evolution, technology, artificial intelligence, and extraterrestrial life, and is notable for its scientific realism, pioneering special effects, and provocatively ambiguous and often surreal imagery, sound in place of traditional narrative techniques and a very minimal use of dialogue."

trivia: H (I) A (B) L (M) 9000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

that was deep space

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!