Avast & AVG forum

Question

Bad Image Problems

by BeagleLeo3 / September 1, 2011 12:10 PM PDT

Hi! I recently installed the AVG 2011 Free AntiVirus version on Windows XP. Since then, I've been having messages popping up for every program and on start-up
saying "Bad Image-- C:\Windows\system32\beyofaji.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system admin or the software vendor for support." Thinking that this could be malware of some kind, I immediately ran SpyBot and AVG, but both programs didn't find anything. I've tried to install Windows updates, but they won't install. I then uninstalled AVG and installed Norton
AntiVirus, but still have not found anything. AVG was the only program I had installed before this starting happening, and the errors are interferring with my PC's normal tasks. I've recently done some searches and have noticed that other people have had similar problems. Is this a registry error created by AVG that can be corrected, or is this a deeply imbedded virus? Any help would be greatly appreciated-- thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bad Image Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bad Image Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Bad Image Problems
by Ondrej_AVG / September 1, 2011 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad Image Problems

Hello BeagleLeo3,

Collapse -
Bad Image Post Continued...
by BeagleLeo3 / September 3, 2011 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Bad Image Problems

The bad image messages have stopped. However, I still can't install Windows Updates and updates for Norton AntiVirus. Suggestions? Thank you again for your help!

Collapse -
RE: Bad Image Post Continued...
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / September 3, 2011 6:23 PM PDT

Hello BeagleLeo3,

inability to install antivirus and operating system updates may well be caused by infection remnants. Please check your DNS configuration. Make sure DNS servers provided by your ISP are used or use reliable public DNS servers, like the Google DNS. More information about Google public DNS can be found here (DNS configuration instructions are linked on that page).

You have mentioned that Norton Antivirus is installed. Please note that having multiple security applications installed may result in performance and system stability issues. Please check this post for more information.

Thank you.

Collapse -
More of Bad Image Post...
by BeagleLeo3 / September 4, 2011 2:55 AM PDT

Hi! How do you completely remove AVG? I used the uninstall feature that appeared with AVG in my start menu options, so how can I check to see if AVG is completely uninstalled? Thanks again!

Collapse -
Completely remove AVG
by Dusan_AVG / September 4, 2011 5:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Removing AVG...
by BeagleLeo3 / September 4, 2011 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Completely remove AVG

Hi! I tried to run the remover tool just to be sure, but I don't think that it did anything. I don't know if this is because AVG is gone or if it's because I had the 2011 version and the remover tool was intended for the 2012 version. A black window popped up quickly listing tasks, but it then quickly disappeared. A log was then created saying that various items failed to delete. I'm assuming that this is because my previous uninstallation worked and that there was nothing to delete. There are some files that are I am unsure of whether or not I should delete. The files include:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG 10

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData\SelfUpd\avgmfarx.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData\SelfUpd\avgntdumpx.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData\SelfUpd\avgrunasx.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData\SelfUpd\avgmfapx.exe

Collapse -
Re: removing AVG
by Ondrej_AVG / September 4, 2011 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Removing AVG...

Hello BeagleLeo3,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!