Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Bad block on disk.

I have a Vostro 1500 running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and all other updates.

I run Windows Live One Care for virus protection, firewall setting, spyware detection and backups.

Recently I was having a problem doing a backup with a new external drive. I then tried to do the same backup on the external drive I had been using with the same results, after running for over an hour it would hang. I ran the tuneup function in One Care which said there was a problem with the hard drive and it scheduled a chkdsk for the next reboot. This had happened once before but chkdsk did not find any problems, not so this time. So much for the history lesson.

Now when I boot my machine it wants to run a chkdsk and if I let it run it gets to the following message:

89% complete (25311216 of 28933969 free clusters processed)

where it stops, the two number are different each time I run chkdsk but not by much.

I also ran a system check from hitting the F12 key during boot and the Pre-boot Sytem Assessment Build 4106 came up with the following error:

Error Code 0142

Msg Error code 2000-0142

Msg Unit 1 Drive Self Test Failed Status Byte=79

I then ran the disk test in the program that came up after that and got the following failures:

In the read test:.....

Test Results Fail

Error Code 0F00:0244

Msg: Disk_0 Block 299181333 Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

and in the Verify Test...

Test Results Fail

Error Code 0F00:1A44

Msg Disk_0 Block 299181333 Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

So as you can see I have identified the bad block I just need a way to mark it bad so it will not be used anymore.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bad block on disk.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bad block on disk.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many of these are in warranty still.

In reply to: Bad block on disk.

Let dell replace the drive.

And while chkdsk does have an option to do this, I find my data to be worth having a drive without issues.
Bob

Collapse -
chkdsk hangs

In reply to: Many of these are in warranty still.

I will see if I can get a replacment for the drive from Dell.
The problem still is that chkdsk is not doing what is sappose to do. When it gets to the bad block it just stops and I have to shut down and reboot. You can see the frustration in doing this over and over with the same results.
Also with the bad block my backup fails. I have one other option for backing up my HD that I will try but if that fails I am SOL.

Collapse -
Expectations versus realities.

In reply to: chkdsk hangs

Even in Vista, CHKDSK only does so much. For years I've seen it do both minor miracles and fail to deliver. Let's be sure not to give it more than a "I hope it works" expectation level.

There is SPINRITE but for the price you often can replace the drive.
Bob

Collapse -
out of warrenty

In reply to: Expectations versus realities.

Well I checked with Dell and my Laptop is out of warrenty so that is not an option.
I was able to backup my HD with the software that came with my Seagate external drive but it did not backup everything. It seems Seagate disk manager will not backup files if the hidden flag is turned on. Frankly I want those files backed up too. A backup should backup EVERY FILE. I can understand if a file is in use that it is not backed up but I want everything else backed up. Sorry I am just venting.
I am going to see how much a new HD will cost for my laptop and make do until I can afford one.
Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
Just today I did a backup. (just sharing)

In reply to: out of warrenty

We have a new laptop in the family so before we booted it for the first time I wanted an image of the hard disk so I was assured I could start exactly as it was out of the box. For this I used a spare hard disk that was larger than the laptop drive and G4U plus the usual USB hard disk adapter.

I let my son boot it up and make the restore media and for the final backup we cloned the restore media and packed it all away in zip lock bags and foam so if the box was tossed off the roof it should be fine.

I have backup.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.