Computer Help forum

General discussion

backups and partitioned drives xp pro

by pkroh / August 19, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

my os is xp pro sp2.

i have a 160gb internal hard drive that is partitioned 80/80. one is ntsb, the other fat. i don't know why it just came that way. can i just change the fat partition to ntsb without any harm?

i also have an external hard drive from my old, mobo fried machine.

what i want to do is: backup everything to the d: partitioned drive, reformat my external hard drive to wipe it clean, backup everything to the external and the remove the partition of my new hard drive.

when attempting to backup on the d: drive, i receive the error message that my file size is too large (over 4gb). i am also not sure what "system state" files are (the help section on my pc says that they will enable me to boot off of the backup file) and wheher they would work as the help section says.

sorry if this too much, it's my first post. i am probably trying to do too much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: backups and partitioned drives xp pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: backups and partitioned drives xp pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You get the error because ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 19, 2008 2:21 PM PDT

of the FAT File system.

You can easily convert the file system to NTFS (the ntsb you mention would be national transportation safety board). Follow this link and scroll down to the CONVERT command. Once there click on it for the proper syntax and parameters (essentially for you the command would be convert d: /fs:ntfs from within a command prompt window (click Start then Run then type CMD and click OK to get that command prompt window).

You don't mention how large the old drive you are using as an external is nor what file system it has.

Collapse -
An IMPORTANT NOTE to previous response ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 20, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

since you failed to mention the make and model of computer or the size and name of the D: drive it is HIGHLY PROBABLE that being FAt it is the recovery partition created by the manufacturer to allow you to restore the PC should problems develop.

If such is the situation DO NOT convert it to NTFS or it will never allow you to recover to factory specs without a third party program to convert it back to FAT.

Collapse -
you are both right, so...
by pkroh / August 20, 2008 2:41 AM PDT

yes, i can easily convert to NTFS as you said. i did not do it because the second post is also correct that i cannot reverse it according to what is in my computer help section.

as remarked by the second post, you are correct in that the machine came with ONE 160gb hard drive partitioned as c: (NTFS) and d: (FAT) with 80gb each. because of the file size error (4gb), this still leaves me confused as to how a "backup" can be made when system files will not transfer.

i can guess that just a COPY in conjuction with a recovery disk may do the trick.

i can also suppose the same for the external hard drive, but only copying my documents/pix, etc. this would be tedious to re-install programs though. as to the type of file system it has, i assume that i can choose when i wipe it and reformat it, yes?

my system is an acer veriton m410 athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, 2.2ghz with 2gb RAM.

thanks again for your advice. i still think that i am trying to do too much and in the end i would still like to unpartition the internal hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?