Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Backups

by jf59 / March 29, 2004 7:52 PM PST

I have a new Dell (3months) with Sonic software handling a DVD/CD combo rewrite drive. Whenever I back up for example Quickbooks, the result is a read only file. Any idea what I am doing wrong? In the past I was able to access the backup file to verify its accuracy. Thanks in advance for you help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell provides free 24/7 tech support for a year
by LarryD / March 29, 2004 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: Backups

Not the answer you were looking for, but worth taking advantage of

Collapse -
Re:Backups
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 8:06 PM PST

"Subject: [3-57] How do I clear the "read-only" flag under Windows?
(2003/03/25)

If you write files to a CD-R with conventional recording and then try to copy them back, under Windows the files will all have their "read only" flags set. This can be annoying for documents you want to update.

The files aren't written to the disc as "read only". There isn't any such permission flag in the filesystem. They're simply presented that way by Microsoft operating systems. Mac OS deals with this in a nicer way, showing unlocked files on write-protected media, rather than the dopey Microsoft approach of showing write-protected files on unlocked media.

You can avoid this situation entirely by using packet writing (where you just copy files to the disc like a big floppy, e.g. with DirectCD), which preserves the file attributes, or by using backup software, which will restore the files to their original state. Stuffing the files into a ZIP archive works too, but may be less convenient than other approaches.

If you've already got the read-only files, changing them back to read-write isn't too hard. Some approaches:

If you're using Win2K or WinXP, right-click on the top-most folder(s), and un-check the read-only box. You will be asked if you want to apply the change to all files and folders in the folder. Say "yes".

For DOS or older versions of Windows, from a DOS prompt run "ATTRIB -R *.* /S" on every subdirectory with read-only files in it.

If you prefer a Windows application, try "ReadOnly" from http://www.sente.co.uk/downloads.htm. They also have a more sophisticated application called "FlagRASH".

If you can boot into Linux, su to root, mount the volume as vfat, cd to the directory in question, and do "find . -print | xargs chmod +w" to enable write permission for all files in the current directory and in all subdirectories. If you've got the GNU utilities, use "find . -print0 | xargs -0 chmod +w" instead, because it'll work correctly on files with spaces in the names. (Of course, if you're a Linux user, you could just use mkisofs with the appropriate options and have Rock Ridge file permissions that match the originals, but this is a Windows question.)"

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-57

Collapse -
Re:Backups
by glb613 / March 29, 2004 8:52 PM PST

Check at the web site. There has been some discussion at another board about the incompatibility between Quicken, Quickbooks and a variety of backup software.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!