Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Backup whoas!

by eggy / October 29, 2004 1:44 PM PDT

I can't find backup anywhere on my WinMe PC,3yrs never ran backup-Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup whoas!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup whoas!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Backup whoas!
by Stan Chambers / October 29, 2004 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Backup whoas!

Eggy, back up is not a program on your computer. Back up is copying your files from your hard drive to some other form of storage, in case the hard drive fails.
I burn them to a cdr. Documents, mp3s, photos, or any other files that you don't won't to lose.
If you have a cd burner, you can burn your files to a data cd. Then you'll be able to copy them from the cd back to your computer or another computer, if needed.

Collapse -
by eggy / October 29, 2004 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Backup whoas!

I got a zip drive & cdr in puter,which to use,type of discs, walk thru- eggy

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / October 30, 2004 1:34 AM PDT

That zip drive should work just fine. Most zip disk won't hold as much data as a cdr, but it will do the job. A 250 mb zip disk can hold 70 to 100 MP3 files.
Do you know how to use the zip drive? If so, place a formated zip disk in the zip drive and copy any files that you want to save, to the disk. That's all there is to it. If you lose data from the hard drive at some point, you can pull out the zip disk with the data and copy it back to your hard drive.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by eggy / November 8, 2004 8:22 AM PST

Thanx 4 input Ernie,what about those USB 1GB devices out there?

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / December 1, 2004 12:55 PM PST

They are designed for temporary storage and transferring files. Could get expensive for use as back up. Cdr's are much less expensive, and one cdr will hold 700 MB.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!