Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Backup to CD

I have a 6 month old Gateway 710. It came with backup/burn a cd/dvd software -- a light package called Nero 6 Express. I have a fairly large backup to do, one requiring at least three 650 gig cd's. When I tried to do the backup, I discovered that this version of the software doesn't let you "insert disk 2, disk 3," etc. One disk is all it will take, and I get a message that my cd is not large enough to take more than 650 gigs. I looked into this and found that Nero recommended I updatge to Nero 6 Ultra. ($60-$90)

I'm seeking advice on whether, since I have to buy new software, perhaps there is better software, both for backup and for burning cd's and dvd's. Perhaps separate utilities for the two different functions? Roxio Creator 7 is one package that will do both. Any suggestions or advice?

Don Eisen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup to CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup to CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: both Roxio and Nero will do what you want

In reply to: Backup to CD

ummmmmmmmm if you have a spare 650 gig CD you don't need....

Wink

Collapse -
Re: Backup to CD

Why don't you just create the CDs manually? It really doesn't take any longer to do it that way.

Collapse -
If you are truly running XP. . .

You don't need any new software. XP has a backup utility to use with the XP CD burning utility. You can use it.

This from the XP help:

Manually Install the Backup Utility

To manually install Backup:
Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:
CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

Collapse -
Re: If you are truly running XP. . .

In reply to: If you are truly running XP. . .

Using Win XP to backup. I have found that you cannot backup direct to a CD using the windows XP backup. I have to backup to a folder on my hard drive and then send or copy it to the CD. Using this method also requires that you size your back up file to fit the CD. It will not stop and allow a second or subsequent disk to be inserted.

Can anyone tell me if, using XP, there is a method to back up direct to the CD?

Collapse -
Well. . .

In reply to: Re: If you are truly running XP. . .

I'm searching right now. I know you can select the destination and tape is listed. In Help it says any removable media is acceptable. XP has a built in burner so it should work.

Now that I think about it I have the XP burner turned off so I use NTI CD/DVD maker.

If the XP burner is turned on Backup should list the CD-RW drive.

Collapse -
Re: Backup to CD

there is a simple answer to you problem providing you do have 2 hard drive you can spend your money on a backup program much more reliable called (Acronis True Image)
once installed you can use it's functions to make an exact image of your entire operating system regardless of it's size which will be put on your second hard drive ready for an emergency replacement if needed such operation of removing you faulty O\S and repacing it will be done automatically once started in no more than about 20 minutes on e reasonably fast PC

Collapse -
I use a program named Backup MyPC from stompsoft

It was originally the Veritas backup program. It will back up to CDs, DVDs, other hard drives, etc. It is simple to use, and has saved my data files more than once recently. It also compresses while backing up, and can compare the backup file to the harddrive files to verify that the backup was good.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.