Resolved Question

Backup software that doesn't waste destination drive space

I want to be able to back up an image of my entire system, which uses about 35 GB of my primary drive onto a secondary internal drive and an external USB drive, but I want to be able to use both of those destination drives for other purposes, such as storing data, and periodic incremental backups. According to tech support for BounceBack software, I can't put anything else on those destination drives, nor can I partition them and put the system backup on one partition and the other stuff on the other partition. Is there any other backup software that allows me to use the rest of the destination drives for other purposes?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 32 bit on a Dell XPS400 with a 2.80 GHZ Pentium D CPU. It has a 500 GB primary HD, a 360 GB secondary internal HD, and a 360 GB external USB drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
userdoba has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Backup software that doesn't waste destination drive space
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Backup software that doesn't waste destination drive space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Believe you should be able to do that with

Acronis True Image.

You can create a full image of a drive or partition to another physical drive or a compressed image to another drive or partition. If you choose the latter, you don't need a separate partition on the target drive...just enough disk space for the image file(s). I actually keep several backup image files of my drive C and D on a separate drive.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
compressed image to another partition

If I understand you correctly, I can back up my drive image to a partition on another drive using Acronis True Image only if the source image is compressed. Is that correct? Since my source image is only 35 GB, it seems uncalled for to compress it any further, but if that's the only way to be able to use a partition instead of the entire destination drive, that's what I'll do.
Thanks VAPCMD

- Collapse -
You don't have to compress the output file but I almost

always do since I keep multiple copies of my C: drive as well as the drive/partition (DHappy that I keep my data on. I also copy those image files to an external HDD just in case.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
I'll second the motion on Drive Image but here's what I do

I do not and would not use my largest drive for the OS and software. The larger drives are for backup and storage. I use Drive Image as my disk imaging utility and create an entire image of my primary drive about once a week. Other individual files such as for my Quicken data are copy/pasted as needed onto at least 3 other drives. My primary drive is Win 7 Pro, 150 GB with about 50 GB in use. I've a 300 GB and a 640 GB internal drive plus another 640 GB external. I also have a few more externals available. The last image created of my primary drive is about 18 GB. I keep about 1/2 dozen full images including the very first one when I set up Win 7 initially and activated it. This one is my "factory recovery" equivalent. These images are kept redundantly on 3 drives including an external. I can restore my latest complete image in about 10 minutes if need be and I have tested it more than once. There are a lot of advantages to creating compressed images of full drives but you really want your secondary drives to be the larger ones.

- Collapse -
Multiple backups

Thanks Steven,
It sounds like you are doing essentially what I want to do, although I don't intend to use more than two backup drives.

- Collapse -
I don't read that.

I only read "compressed image", not "compressed source".

Kees

CNET Forums