PC Applications forum

General discussion

Backup software, or can I just write the files to data DVD?

I was just wondering, if I have some data, like mpeg files, that I want to back up to data dvd, do I necessarily have to use a special backup software? I use Nero Backitup, but don't like the fact that the files are proprietary and you have to restore them with the same program. Is there some reason I can't just write them straight to the dvd using another program, (such as Sonic RecordNow), especially if the program has a data verification after burn option?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup software, or can I just write the files to data DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup software, or can I just write the files to data DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is how I save my "stuff"

In reply to: Backup software, or can I just write the files to data DVD?

I don't use a backup program. I make CDs or DVDs with the files, folders, photos, music, downloads and anything else I've created. I use Roxio but I'm sure any good CD/DVD burning program will do.

Collapse -
I can do that with CDBURNERXP.

In reply to: Backup software, or can I just write the files to data DVD?

It is possible that Sonic, others detect the file type and want to may a DVD (video) rather a data DVD. If such software is not cooperating, try CDBURNERXP. Its free and does the job.

Bob

Collapse -
great, so why all the fuss about backup software?

In reply to: I can do that with CDBURNERXP.

Does it serve a purpose beyond what just writing to DVD can do?

Collapse -
Backup software...

In reply to: great, so why all the fuss about backup software?

Advantages of backup software:
* Runs automatically on a set schedule.
* Can be set to backup individual files or whole folders without user intervention.
* Option to only back up files that have changed. This prevents old, unchanged files from being backed up multiple times, while ensuring that all updates are applied to your backups as soon as possible.
* Can do "live updates," where the changes are automatically backed up to the media of your choice (CD-RW, DVD+/-RW, HD, FD, Zip, etc) as you modify the original file.
* Can usually save system settings and preferences...something that can be tedious otherwise.
* Has automated recorvery features, so that you don't have to recreate each directory that was erased.

Many of the programs contain other features as well (including automatic compression and encryption), but this is the primary list.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
yes, thanks, it helps...

In reply to: Backup software...

So it seems that backup software is mostly for a system-wide purpose... For my purposes of just making a second copy of some files that won't change, just in case my external drive crashes, it makes sense to skip the backup software and just use the regular burn-to-data-dvd method. By the way, Sonic RecordNow does offer that option (it doesn't decide for you based on the file type)... you just choose data dvd and browse for the folder. And you can set the options to verify data after burn.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.