HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Backup software

by annemariegrrr / May 13, 2006 5:56 AM PDT

After my hard drive became dead i learned how important backup's can be. What is the best backup software. I need one that is easy to use and will alow you to take a full backup of your hard drive. For example if my OS won't boot i would like to be able to take my backup and boot it up.

-sai

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Acronis True Image
by rgfitz / May 13, 2006 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Backup software
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

I bought Acronis True Image 8.0 some time ago after reading the reviews. It is fairly straight forward and apparently does a good job...I have never had a disk fail.

I put my backups on an external Western Digital USB hard drive.

I switch the external drive to my laptop and back that up too.
Collapse -
It seems good
by annemariegrrr / May 13, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Acronis True Image

The software seems very good. Does it make backups automatically like on start up? If it does I'll probably get this software.

-thanx sai

Collapse -
Download their free trial
by rgfitz / May 13, 2006 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems good

and give it a try.

Collapse -
What I would use
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 6:26 AM PDT

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I use this method.

* I still have my original XP installation and driver disks.
* I also have XP SP2 on a CD, (many will slipstream XP and SP2 onto a single CD which is good).
* I regularly back up to CD all of my important files, eg documents, photos, music, videos etc.
* I also back up details of my email settings, as well as my Address Book and other personal details.
* I make sure I know where my internet setup CD is and keep that, with any other instructions in a safe place.
* Every program I have downloaded and installed from the internet, I have saved the install file to a separate folder on my hard disk, and I have backed that up to CD.

If ever I needed to re-install, (and I am fortunate that I haven't so far), I will do a clean install of XP and SP2, and then make my way through my other programs one at a time.

Other people have different ideas, so I expect you will have many options to choose from.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
I have my ''backup''
by glb613 / May 13, 2006 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: What I would use

saved like Mark. In addition, I downoaded, installed and ran Belarc then printed out the results for each of my computers. I have the reports saved along with my installation CDs. It shows everything installed including software, hardware and product key numbers. I also have 2 external hard drives to provide temporary storage or a second copy until I create a CD/DVD.

Collapse -
That's what i do already..
by annemariegrrr / May 13, 2006 8:48 AM PDT

I do keep a copy of windows. I also do keep the extensions of the programs I have downloaded. Those .exe files do take up alot of space (2 GB's for me). The only problem is that it's not very fast and easy to burn discs like a backup. I keep my VERY important data on discs though.

-thanx sai

Collapse -
My method too...
by Papa Echo / May 13, 2006 8:48 AM PDT

....but I am not as fortunate. The method helped me two times in three years. I do not use "backup programs". I make copies. This allows me to "reorganize" my files and folders when putting them back to the HD

Collapse -
Safe, quick, & easy backup
by tallin / May 13, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP/SP2 with a 80GB hard drive.
I have a Seagate Barracuda 160GB Internal/removable HD. Running Nortons Ghost10 - everytime something changes it does an incremental backup. Once a month it does a full backup/clone of my entire computer. This is all set automatically. When I go away/out I remove the removable hard drive and put it is my safe. For me this works wonderfully well so I hope it helps

Good luck

Collapse -
Alright
by annemariegrrr / May 14, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

I guess what i will do is when i get my new HD from Maxtor i'll set it up and then get the free trial for Acros and see how it is.

-thanx sai

Collapse -
Enterprise Class Backup Freeware - haven't tried it yet tho!
by coldsnap0 / May 18, 2006 6:41 PM PDT

I was looking for some enterprise class backup software for implementation in my company and a mate posted me this link to some software called Indigo Backup:

www.indigoprime.co.uk

Apparently it's used accross his company and several other large (ex)government agencies - and has been for years! Speaking to my mate their business seems to be government/military. The Indigo Prime site doesn't seem to advertise anywhere though - which is odd!

Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks the business. Open file backup, encrypted & centrally controlled backup etc. It says it can also be used for personal use so it might be worth a look.

Big plus - it seems to be a freeware!

So if you're looking for a bells and whistles freeware solution, it could be a winner. If you like I'll let you know if it's any good after I wack it in my test cell on the company WAN.

However, don't know what there support will be like, so you'd have to try it and see.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.