General discussion

Backup software

I am looking for some backup software for my Dad so he can do backups to his external hard drive. Ideally it would be somthing that is pretty user friendly, and something with a scheduler so he can schedule regular backups. Any advice on such a product? His machine runs Windows XP.

Thanks so much,
Trish

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Backup software
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Backup software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
System images or "files"?

I'd give the nod to Acronis for imaging and simple copy and paste for files.

Bob

- Collapse -
Karen's Replicator

You might look into this one http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp . It seems to do all you ask... you may need to assist your father in making the settings for parts of hard drive he wants to backup.

I have used it for some time with scheduled backups to a second hard drive.

Hope this helps!

Glenn

- Collapse -
And don't forget to backup the drivers
- Collapse -
the program is use

yow i use Acronis True Image 9.0 for a long time now and belive its mutch better than the other crap thats avelebol on the web

Greets DarkJoeri

- Collapse -
lol

**** i made a mistake its the program i use and not is

not that i care but its mayby a bit confusing

Greets DarkJoeri

- Collapse -
Acronis True Image

I have been using Acronis True Image ver 8 for some time now. I am not familiar with newer versions of Norton Ghost but with Acronis you can:

Back up to a second hard drive containing the ''Acronis Secure Zone'' (a partition created by the software that cannot be touched by any other software...not even by you except through True Image).

Manage/Repartition hard drives.

Do all the partitioning of a new drive easily.

Clone a hard drive.

Back up to CD's or even DVD's (although for DVD you must first back up to files (not more than 2GB per file [the largest filesize recordable to a DVD]on a hard disk and then copy/move them to a DVD)... somewhat cumbersome but useful to have multiple sources of full disaster recovery.

Schedule tasks, Export a drive, Explore Image (to selectively restore a file or folder etc.)

I have no connection to the makers of this product, nor do I sell it.... only a satisfied user.

BTW, I would suggest *at least* an 80GB (using 40GB for the secure zone) second hard drive if you also plan to use that drive for other things, such as small additional storage space. It all depends on how many files you maintain on your main drive. Acronis does compress the backup and you can do multiple full system backups to the secure zone.

In my case I keep any non program files, downloads and any files that are not essential to the operating system and registered programs on the second drive and simply do not back them up in order to limit the backups to a reasonable size.

- Collapse -
A second vote for True Image (9.0)

Saved my butt a couple of weeks ago. Very user friendly, and much cheaper than Norton Ghost. Images the drive as well as individual file backup.

- Collapse -
Windows XP ASR

I run Win XP Pro and use the ASR portion of their Backup utility. It works great, is virtually a one click setup and has restore my drives in the past effortlessy. I back up to a second Internal 100 gb hard drive and it works great even though I have a 300 gb external drive. The internal holds 3 backups and just rotate them weekly. If you are running XP Home, the Backup utility won't show but you can extract from your Window CD. Copy and paste this link to find out how. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820. Hope this helps....

- Collapse -
Doesn't work on XP Home

Although the Backup utility can be installed manually from the XP installation CD-Rom (assuming it's a full CD; don't know about OEM disks), the ASR portion doesn't work on XP Home.

Also, the original poster should keep in mind the difference between imaging and backup. If you image the disk regularly, then you can restore the image and it will restore XP, all applications installed, and all files and data, exactly as they existed previously. If you only do file backup, then if your hard drive dies, you'll have to reinstall XP as well as all your drivers, applications, etc., before restoring your files from the backup. Imaging is a much better solution, imho, as anyone who has had to reinstall windows and all applications will attest.

Acronis True Image 9.0, www.acronis.com (free fully-functional trial download available) is a great choice.

No connection to the company, just like the product.

- Collapse -
Imaging Software

Isn't Symantec/Norton 'GHOST' (version 10) equivalent imaging product to Acronis ? If so, it is included in Norton Systemworks PREMIER along with anti-virus & other goodies.

- Collapse -
Nero Works Well for Me

The Nero software that came free with my newly purchaesd DVD drive and that can be downloaded for free from either Nero's website or download.com works great. I use it's user-friendly scheduling feature to backup all of my documents to an additional internal hard drive once a week. I save processing time and hard drive space by choosing to only backup those files taht have been modified or added since the last backup. Each backup file is accompanied by a restore icon for fast and easy recovery.

- Collapse -
Copy to External Hard Drive...

When your Dad plugs in his external hard drive, it appears in the My Computer folder. Double-click on the external drive to open it.

Double-click on Drive C: and drag and drop the "Documents and Settings" folder to the external drive. If he religiously saves all of his personal data to the "My Documents" folder ONLY, he's done. This is an example of "Best Practices" as it backs up the My Documents folders for each user.

No external drive? Compress the "Documents and Settings" folder using IZArc (Free) or WinZip ($$) and burn to CD.

There are also free tools to back up all device drivers, check on google for more info.

- Collapse -
backup software for free
- Collapse -
Free or low cost backup/file synchronization application :)

Trish:

Not so long ago, I stumbled upon a package called SyncBack by 2BrightSparks. It was free and offered most of the features I wanted; backup, file/folder synchronization, a scheduler, etc... It has gone through several updates since my first exposure. Here is a SnapFiles review and download link [http://www.snapfiles.com/get/SyncBack.html] or you can visit the authoring site at [http://www.2brightsparks.com/index.html]

I have so enjoyed using this program, I purchased the SyncBackSE version. More features, liberal licensing policies (5 PCs on one license if used for personal use), and fairly low cost ($25). That works out to $5/PC. Not bad.

Here are a few more links to use ...

SyncBack Free
http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

SyncBackSE - more features and flexibility
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html

The Back Guide (free, BASIC guide to backups)
http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/ebooks/TheBackupGuidePDF.zip

- Collapse -
Recommendation for Backup4all

I tried a few backup utilities (Dantz, Karen's Replicator and others) before settling on Backup4all at http://www.backup4all.com/. I use it to back data from my system (files over four drives) to an external hard drive. It's cheap, simple and works really well.

A fault that some backup software (e.g. Dantz) has is that when you rename or delete source files, it wont remove them from the backup. This software does.

Also found the support desk helpful too - quick responses to questions.

Oh, nice reporting features too - you can see exactly what it's going to backup before you commit, plus you can check the logs to see what was processed.

Cheers,
Cliff

- Collapse -
Backup Software

I've used software called Drive Backup 7.0 Pro for my sister. She works as journalist and daily backup was very important for her. The most satisfying thing I found in this software was Incremental backup - easy and quick. I scheduled the daily backup and two month already it is working flawless.

- Collapse -
Backup's the easy part...how's the restore work ?

Have you tested it with a restore to a blank hard disk ?

- Collapse -
Restore from backup image

Yes I've tested it. First of all I created a test backup image of sister's HDD but it turned out that Incremental Backup works only with partition images. The source drive was in total 80GB and I've purchased two more WD HDDs 120GB each on which I run my tests. Restored the backup image to one of it turned off the computer and attached the restored drive as primary master and made in BIOS changes to have the 120GB drive as first boot device. It booted normally. As for Incremental Backup restore - the process seemed to me in some way complicated but still easy. It is prescribed that one shoud restore first Basic Image of partition on which the Incremental is based. After the restore finished I had to restore Incremental. The total process of all restoring took me 2 hours. The most amazing thing again was that I was able to restore the HDD or partition to the state it was in definite day. I can say that restore to blank HDD went absolutely flawless. But still I recommend you looking through help file before any operation Wink

- Collapse -
Backup Software

I the best product that I have used for backing up my PC is PC Backup by StompSoft. http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/pc-backup.html The reason that I suggest this software is that it will allow you to backup your files using nearly any media including CD/DVD, Hard Drive, Tape and Networks. I currently use this application to backup to my own network and to CD and have been quite pleased with it.

Sincerely,

Sally

- Collapse -
Just a note. Intel Accelerator and Stomp.

Before you declare this the winner consider Stomp fails to function if the machine has Intel Accelerator installed.

Bob

- Collapse -
http://www.techsupportalert.com/drive-imaging-reviews.htm

One more vote for Acronis True Image
well, as far as u can understand there 2 backup softwares worth buying : ATI and Ghost.
i've found review where these two are compared.
i think that should help u to make final desicion(if u haven't already).

CNET Forums

Forum Info