Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Backup Quicken to Disk

by rag / February 15, 2004 8:32 PM PST

I get the message "unable to write to drive D". I have a Dell and I am trying to get away from the floppy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup Quicken to Disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup Quicken to Disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Backup Quicken to Disk
by Michael Geist / February 15, 2004 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Backup Quicken to Disk

The A drive is usually the floppy.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Backup Quicken to Disk
by rag / February 15, 2004 11:56 PM PST

I am trying to use the CD-R.I did go to Help and it suggests that maybe Third Party Software may be needed. I went to Dell's forum but nobody would help me.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Backup Quicken to Disk or CDRW disk that is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 12:03 AM PST

Quicken should discuss this with you. But the answer is not what people accept. Backup to a CDRW drive with INCD or DirectCD or such is not working for everyone is since it's not Quicken's software that is failing, then Quicken doesn't offer a solution. The ensuing finger pointing will enrage a few users.

One person found an easy two step around it by saving such to a temporary place on the hard disk then to the CDRW drive.

I will not offer any long discussion on this since it's been beat to death many times and NO, I know of no cure to go directly to InCD or DirectCD supported media. I suspect Quicken doesn't either.

Bob

Collapse -
Rag, Main Question...Do You Have a CD Burner?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 1:52 AM PST

Sorry if this seems a little unclear to me, and because this is a "newbies" forum, but you didn't mention that the D drive was a CD-RW drive. If you don't have a "burner", then you can't copy anything to the CD-Rom drive. In addition, if you have a CD-RW drive, it requires special software to allow it to copy the data to it.

If you don't currently have a CD-RW drive, you can replace the CD-Rom with a new one, making sure that software, such as Easy CD Creator, or Nero Burning, is also installed. There are also "external" CD-RW drives which can be purchased as well.

If you DOo have a CD-RW drive, then you'll need to install the correct software if you haven't done so already.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Rag, Main Question...Do You Have a CD Burner? FOR GRIF...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 2:32 AM PST

This particular issue has been danced around more than a few times.

Even with "the correct software", it doesn't work. Quicken isn't totally at fault on this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, Yep, I Was Trying To Verify That AT LEAST...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 12:14 PM PST

...there was a burner involved, since the "Unable to write to D drive" can occur for a lot of different reasons. I am aware of the Quicken issues as they have been discussed quite a few times.

Backing up to the hard drive, then copying the backup from the hard drive to the CD seems to be the "surest" method to get the backup saved.

Sorry I had to jump out and eat dinner while the discussion was going on. I had to BBQ the filet's. LOL

Thanks again.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Rag, Main Question...Do You Have a CD Burner?
by glenn30 / February 16, 2004 2:51 AM PST

Grif, your comments and solution work for me. It does appear this should work if one has a CD-RW drive and supportive software to "format" the CD-RW disk. Many fail to realize the disk must be formatted which effectively makes it a drop-in-drag disk which is able to be used as an ordinary floppy disk would be used.

This has worked for me using Quicken for years. I do use Easy CD Creator software for formatting the CD-RW disk. The user should be sure the save default is to the CD-RW drive.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:Rag, Main Question...Do You Have a CD Burner?
by rag / February 16, 2004 4:55 AM PST

OK, yes I have a CD burner and I have Easy CD Creator. I have formatted the disk, now what do I do. Do I need to backup Quicken on my hard drive and then go to the disk. Do I back up to Easy CD?

Collapse -
The answer is !
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 5:11 AM PST

You go with what works.

If Quicken FAILS to go to the DirectCD supported drive, then you do the two step method.

There is NO known fix for the issue if the ONE-STEP backup fails.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:The answer is !
by rag / February 16, 2004 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: The answer is !

I don't understand what you are saying.
I go to backup in Quicken and choose D:
It says unable to write to drive D.
What would the two step method be?

Collapse -
Re:Re:The answer is "use what works."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Re:The answer is !

As we read your last post, you too have the Quicken doesn't work with DirectCD failure. By now you have read my replies that it's been discussed before and Quicken didn't have a fix since it's not their software (DirectCD.)

1. Backup in Quicken to anywhere else. Your choice on the matter!

2. Use Explorer and send or copy that to the DirectCD drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Backup Quicken to Disk
by rag / February 16, 2004 3:47 AM PST

I am trying to use the CD-R.I did go to Help and it suggests that maybe Third Party Software may be needed. I went to Dell's forum but nobody would help me.

Collapse -
Two minor points.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 4:20 AM PST

1. You'll use CDRW media.

2. You would use InCD, DirectCD or such and the CDRW would be formatted prior to use using their method.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Two minor points.
by rag / February 16, 2004 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Two minor points.

I know I don't get along with computers but I am really lost now. It keepos spitting out my disk.

When I go to Backup in Quicken, do I use the lower box to pick a location? And then go to Direct CD and work through Explore. This is not working for me.

Collapse -
Rag, do this...
by glenn30 / February 16, 2004 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Two minor points.

I'll try to help... but am not quite sure what method you are using. Here is the way I do Quicken backup.

1. Have a CD-RW disk that is formatted. You format it using your Easy CD Creator. First go to Creator's update site to be sure you have the latest updates for your version. http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv6.jhtml

2. After you have a formatted CD-RW disk place it in the CD-RW drive (I remember yours as the D Drive).

3. Next from the Quicken File Menu select "Backup".

4. From the "Quicken Backup Window" tick the lower box "disk"... then choose a path either by clicking the browse button or you can type in the path. (Mine reads "D:\Backup Files".) Substitute whatever is appropriate for you. I made a folder called "Backup Files on my formatted rewrittable disk for that purpose. You could simply make the path "D:\" if you do not want a folder. Your choice. Then click the "OK" button in the lower right part of the window.

5. That should do it if your system is working properly.

If the above does not work I have no solution other than Bob's suggestion of saving to your hard drive and then copying or pasting to the formatted CD-RW disk. Be aware that formatting a rewrittable disk is a separate function that is done by Easy CD Creator to prepare the disk for use the same as a floppy disk is used.

Hope this helps.

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
XP and Roxio
by darken_binary / February 16, 2004 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Rag, do this...

This may be a long shot, but....if you are using easy cd creator and windows xp together you mave have problems completely outside of Quicken. This happens mostly with XP and any Easy Cd Creator 5.xxx. There are known compatability issues with the two and you may want to check roxio for updates if this is the case. And why are you so qucik to get away from the floppy. You relize that you using up about 1/1000th of a cd-rw to backup this file. Floppies still have great uses. Sure would be alot easier that going through this.

Collapse -
Re:XP and Roxio
by rag / February 17, 2004 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: XP and Roxio

That is beginning to look like the case. I just wanted to get away from having too much data per floppy and I have had alot of problems with them not working in the past. I have had to use brand new floppies every time.

Collapse -
Re:Rag, do this...
by rag / February 17, 2004 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Rag, do this...

Glenn,
When I finish formatting, it says there is 0 space Free and 0 space total available. Am I doing something else wrong.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Rag, do this...
by glenn30 / February 17, 2004 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Rag, do this...

Rag,
Something is not right and it appears the disk is not being formatted or at least correctly. Maybe the latest Roxio updates for your Basic version that I discussed in the thread below will correct this so the disk will be formatted correctly.

If it does not there must be some incompatibility between Easy CD Creator, CD-RW Drive or yours Windows Operating System. If so that could be anything.

I hope this works out for you.

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Addendum
by glenn30 / February 16, 2004 9:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Addendum
by rag / February 17, 2004 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Addendum

I am using Basic. Does that matter?

Collapse -
Rag, "Basic" has different updates...
by glenn30 / February 17, 2004 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Addendum

Go to the link above and choose Version 6.x or Version 5.x whichever version you are using. On the page that opens will be updates for Basic somewhere on the page. Basic Version 5 is at the bottom of the page... do not remember where Version 6 is located but it is there. Follow any installation instructions.

Good luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:Two minor points.
by rag / February 16, 2004 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Two minor points.

I know I don't get along with computers but I am really lost now. It keepos spitting out my disk.

When I go to Backup in Quicken, do I use the lower box to pick a location? And then go to Direct CD and work through Explore. This is not working for me.

Collapse -
Rag, Can You Make A Backup To Your Hard Drive?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 12:19 PM PST

At this time, you might try restarting the computer to "re-set" everything. Now, while in Quicken, instead of choosing the CD-RW as the backup location, choose a folder on your computer, something like "My Documents". Once the backup file is there, then place the formatted CD-RW in the drive, then double click on "My Computer", then double click on the "D" drive. If things are working correctly, you should see the contents of the CD-RW disk. Leave that window open, then open your "My Documents" folder, find the backup file, RIGHT click on it, choose "Copy". Now minimize that window so you can see the D drive window again. RIGHT click on a blank area of the D drive window, choose "Paste". A copy of the file should be pasted there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Rag, Can You Make A Backup To Your Hard Drive?
by rag / February 17, 2004 9:20 AM PST

Grif,
Thank you, I have working on this for a year, I got it to work and everyone is right, it sure is a pain. The first CD-RW I was trying to use finally came up with an error message, something unknown had locked it up. I don't know. I really appreciate you hanging in there and everyone else who helped. Should I upgrade to the Platinum?

Collapse -
Rag, do I understand correctly?
by glenn30 / February 17, 2004 9:31 AM PST

Your problem is fixed and it was the CD-RW drive. If so congratulations!!!

It's your decision about upgrading to Platinum but if it was me and it now works... I would leave well enough alone.

Happy Computing!

Glenn

Collapse -
Rag, Good Job !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 1:05 PM PST

As far as upgrading to Platinum, it depends on whether "basic" is working for you. In my case, I've used "basic" for all my needs. I have installed on all our office machines, plus my home WinXP, and it satisfies me.

It's entirely up to you.

Keep up the safe computing.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?