Computer Help forum

General discussion

Backup programs over a network drive

I have 5 servers in this problem -- 1 backup server and 4 others.

All are running Windows 2000 SP4 and hooked up on a local network using Ative Directory.

The 1 backup machine is a new server designed just to hold backup data from the other servers with a mirroed 400 GB drive.

We tried using NovaBackup to run the backups over a network shared drive, but it would cause the backup machine to crash about 25% of the time for each backup.

We switched to NTBackup, and the crashes are much less often (maybe 1-5% of the time now), but the scheduled backups do not always run, or they run and fail about halfway through the backup process.

One machine will not run any of its scheduled backups, yet when you run them manually they work just fine.

Another machine runs its backups on time every night, but will have a write error about halfway through about 1 out of every 3 backup jobs.

The other two machines seem to run the backup as scheduled, or not, depending on their mood.

I tried re-scheduling the times with task manager for 1 of the machines -- this seemed to work for that one as far as actually performing the backup. I read one Windows report that stated backups scheduled with the NTbackup utility do not always happen unless you "tweak" the times in Task Manager.

When I go to the scheduled tasks and look at the backup jobs that did not run, it states that it did run, and has an exit value of 0 -- no error, but the backup file was never created. Even the backups that quit halfway through with a write error will state an exit value of 0.

Seems like such a simple task -- backup data at xx:00, but obviously nothing is meant to be easy.

Anyways, any insight on this would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup programs over a network drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup programs over a network drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The crash is a sign.

In reply to: Backup programs over a network drive

And a bad one. It means there is some hardware or software fault your IT staffer must track down. Don't let them wiggle out and tell you that all machines do this. Our office doesn't experience such crashes and neither should yours.

Bob

Collapse -
Backup

In reply to: Backup programs over a network drive

I run a similar setup, with 7 servers, backing up to one. And for the most part it runs flawlessly.

You did not mention how robust your network is (100MB, GB?), how old your equipment is, or how large your backup jobs tend to run? It could be hardware/network problem if you are running marginal equipment or have slower network connections. I would make sure you have your jobs scheduled at different times so they do not over lap each other to minimize these problems.

Sometimes backups have trouble backing up active files as well. This is a particular concern for email and database servers. Other possible problems are not having the right credentials or permissions to access the backup server.

I created a share on the backup server, and then inside the share I created a folder for each server. Each server is then pointed it's own folder inside the share. I would imagine you probably have something similar. We go one step farther and archive things to tape from the back up shares.

If you have all of your back jobs running at different times, and you are still having troubles, then you would have to start trouble shooting each server individually to see where/why the job fails. I would check your logs to see what is reported when a failure happens. It might give you some clues.

Collapse -
Backing up open files

In reply to: Backup

Yes, I believe our setups are similar.

I have managed to work out some of the bugs by messing with the Autodisconnect registry value of the mapped drive and using the Task manager to tweak the times as stated previously.

One thing I noticed, however is that NTBackup is not backing up the open files (database files). It appears that NTBackup is not capable of this. Anyone know of another optino? It looks like Novabackup will back up open files for Windows 2003 and XP, but not 2000...

Collapse -
Media is not Blank prompt.

In reply to: Backup

Now we are getting the following prompt: "The Media is not blank and was created by another program, do you want to overwrite..." when the task runs. This happens the 2nd time the task runs, as we have it set to overwrite the existing file. There has to be a way to turn this prompt off, right? It does no good to schedule a backup at 2:00 in the morning if its just going to wait until we tell it to proceed at 8:15 am.

Thanks,
Jim

Collapse -
Have you read and applied this article?

In reply to: Media is not Blank prompt.

Collapse -
Yep

In reply to: Have you read and applied this article?

I ran across this earlier and disabled the systems tape drive as a result, which also disabled the remote storage manager.

Didn't seem to do the trick, obviously. I went ahead and uninstalled the Tapeware software that was previously used, maybe that will help.

The error message does not make a whole lot of sense as:

a. It applies to tape media, not network drives; and
b. It was created by NTBackup, not a 3rd party provider.

So, I'm getting the error message described in the Windows article, but not all the symptoms.

I wonder if making the registry edit would solve the problem anyways -- instead of arguing with Windows that we are not using tape.

Thanks,
Jim

Collapse -
Just so you know.

In reply to: Yep

Microsoft doesn't tell you that such errors apply to other things. It's something you learn after awhile. Please, this is not meant to offend you but I've seen this since Microsoft CP/M days.

Sadly the area you are having an issue with is something a bit archaic and from a time when people accepted such errors and problems.

Today, people can't believe what we put up with and can start arguing that such bugs can't exist from such a company.

What to do? Start researching replacement systems and call MS if you feel you need to. In fact you may not know about some fixes that you only get when you call in.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.