Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Backup email before XP upgrade.

I am getting ready to move from ME to XP. What is the best way to back up my Bookmarks and email so I can just drop them back in after the upgrade and I can pick up where I left off? I use Firefox and Outlook Express.

Also, as I gather info from different web sites about suggestions on what to do about different parts of the upgrade . . . clean booting, clean install, workarounds, etc., I have problems printing some of the pages; always have. When parts of the pages are in blue or red type, my HP LazerJet 4P barely or completely does not see these lines of print. Some offer "printer friendly" versions that work fine, but what can I do for those that don't? Some other pages look fine on the screen but when they are printed drop the last word or two on each line.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup email before XP upgrade.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup email before XP upgrade.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try..

In reply to: Backup email before XP upgrade.

Firefox, manage bookmarks, tools, export.

For OLEXP, type OLEXP BACKUP into google.com

Bob

Collapse -
Those are a lot of questions.

In reply to: Backup email before XP upgrade.

So a lot of answers. I'll limit myself to the specific subject you mention. It's not sure you'll lose any of the items you mention when doing the upgrade (it might just stay available), but it makes sense to have a backup and know how to use it, in case it's needed".

Firefox bookmarks: see http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6620-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=104504&messageID=1196603

Outlook Express: see http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=100059&messageID=1149168

Printing from IE (and Firefox, I assume): Use landscape (In IE: File>Page Settings, or File>Print, then Properties, as usual). Or copy the information you want to print to Word, and print from there. You might find other useful tips in Toni's http://www.pcwarfare.com/printers/print.tips.in.ie.htm#Printing_Web_Pages

Laserjet: a black and white printer will never print in blue or red, of course, but it will use some darker or lighter type of grey. If you copy it to Word first, you can make everything black (ctrl-A, then font color). Or maybe the printer driver has some setting; our new Laserjet 4100DTN, for example, has a 'Print all text as black' checkbox.

Kees

Collapse -
And ...

In reply to: Those are a lot of questions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.