Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Backup and XP Home Edition

by kfogpd / January 23, 2006 2:59 AM PST

I had to reinstall everything on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. That means using the Toshiba ''restore'' disk and wiping everything out. I first used Windows ntbackup and Roxio CD Creator 6 to save folders with photo's and a few other things. The 'bkf' file was so large that it was spread over 9 CD's. After re-installing the Toshiba setup, I installed ntbackup and tried to restore my backup. I got a message letting me know there were unrecognized elements in the file and it could not be restored. Some checking indicates that the ntbackup file does not work with the home edition of XP. So - Is there a program which will allow me to restore these photo's? Or will ntbackup program work with XP pro edition? Any helpful input - even that which says 'What a bozo' - is welcome.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup and XP Home Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup and XP Home Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
backing up an OEM system
by glennlee / January 23, 2006 6:59 AM PST

You are much better off buying and using an image backup software system like Acronis True Image when you have an OEM system and ''restore'' partition or discs. The factory restore process returns you to the purchase state of your computer...and you lose all your data and after purchase program installations and tweaking. An image backup alllows you to restore your computer to the state it was at the time the image is made. Restoring your computer to a known functioning state with programs, registry, drivers, and data intact is then a 20 min process, rather than hours of work with the factory restore, IF you can lay your hands on all the program discs you have, and have adequate backups of your data. True Image is only $49 retail and well worth the investment for peace of mind. Remember, it is not IF your hard disc will fail, but WHEN your hard disc will fail. For convenience, I like backing up my image on an external hard drive that is left disconnected from the system and power when not in backup use, and the backup image further backed up to a set of dvd discs as the ultimate security for the computer.

Collapse -
Try a demo?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 8:58 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?