HolidayBuyer's Guide

How To forum

Resolved Question

Backup a OEM restore partition?

by 3oij / November 2, 2011 2:00 PM PDT

I have an old Acer Aspire 5517 laptop that has a Windows 7 Home x64 restore partition that you can use from F10 at BIOS startup to reinstall W7. I want to use DBAN or another low level tool to wipe the 160GB drive in it, and later rewrite that partition reserving the license etc..

How can I do this? I basically want to reinstall W7 after the wipe using that OEM license and don't have disks. Thanks

3oij has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup a OEM restore partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup a OEM restore partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 3oij

Collapse -
Why not make the restore media now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 2:13 PM PDT

You can use the Acer eRecovery to do this now.

As to backup. I use CLONEZILLA but make NO MISTAKE. I back the entire 160GB image.
Bob

Collapse -
CloneZilla
by 3oij / November 2, 2011 3:14 PM PDT

Yeah I want to sale it though and want to secure-wipe the drive, and there is no utility that wipes a single partition.

Can CloneZilla clone and write a partition?

Example:
-Clone OEM restore partition to a flash drive file
-Wipe HDD using DBAN or S.M.A.R.T tool
-Use boot utility or live cd to write partition

I'm not sure what can do that.

Collapse -
It's unsupported. Except
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: CloneZilla

If we create the restore media, wipe the drive then use the restore media.

Can you explain why you are not using the supported methods?
Bob

Collapse -
no security
by 3oij / November 3, 2011 3:24 AM PDT

supported methods?

I just need to be able to write that partition back to the drive after I wipe it. I'm selling the laptop and don't want private data on it, and want to keep the licensed install of W7 too.

Collapse -
Then the supported method will do fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: no security
Collapse -
too high level
by 3oij / November 3, 2011 3:42 AM PDT

that's a byte sweep through atapi,sys, it can be recovered. I'm using S.M.A.R.T or DBAN passes on the drive cause I don't won't work information leaked.

I'm not interested in methods that can be compromised by end-user recovery softwares,

Collapse -
Then what's left?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: too high level

You seem determined to do what does not work. Best of luck!

Collapse -
better the right way than the lazy way..
by 3oij / November 3, 2011 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Then what's left?

Just using restore leaves the data there to be stolen even with ccleaner free space wipe..but yeah,,thanks. I was hoping some more-educated people were around to answer. I'm not interested in getting my data stolen by using the lazy answer methods.. I'll find it out on my own as usual.

Collapse -
This is no lazy answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 4:16 AM PDT

We know we can create the restore media, wipe the drive and be done. CHECK!

We know we can backup and restore the restore partition. CHECK.

What is not supported and there is no tool is to restore the boot manager. That's where your goals are not met and I will share how to get around it.
Bob

Collapse -
wrong
by 3oij / November 3, 2011 4:16 AM PDT

Your method gets my data stolen cause DOD on freespace doesn't erase data from an old partition which has a different offset..

I'll use clonezilla or similiar and do it the right way..I'm sure you're intelligent though..

Collapse -
So how will you get the F10 to function again?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: wrong

I know that many folk will want to know this!

Collapse -
Answer
BACKUP and RESTORE the OEM PARTION = DONE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

CLONEZILLA does that for free. But you are missing the boot loader to use that partition.

Fix? Make the restore media then wipe the drive. Use the restore media and we are done.

I think this must be your first time at this and why you didn't understand the issues.
Bob

Collapse -
4uy
by 3oij / November 3, 2011 4:18 AM PDT

OEM restore partitions, or at least the Acer one use an offset not in MBR but BIOS, the trick is getting the right offset which is simple on a blank disk.

I've figured it out. I was just depending on a community for an answer for a change.

Collapse -
That's untrue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: 4uy

Fortunately those restore partitions are not position dependent as a few think. While I've done this dozens of times, just last week I used Acronis to move an entire system from a 500GB to a 750GB drive and keep the restore partition and feature.

If this was truly a "right offset" issue then the restore feature would have failed.

Again, the boot manager/loader is where the OEM partition is called up.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.