General discussion

backlit led vs edgelit ... or just stick with plasma?

Hi there.
Just curious is anyone can describe (like to a 10 year old) the difference between backlit and edgelit?

Which is better/preferred?
I've read online that edgelit have annoying "lights" that can be seen in the corners during dark scenes.

OR.... should I just stick with the more energy efficient plasma released recently?

I currently have a Sony Bravia 46" LCD (XBR3) in the family room, a smaller Vizio on the kitchen counter and Pioneer Elite 42" plasma in the bedroom. I'm probably going to wait until Black Friday to pull the trigger on a larger TV.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: backlit led vs edgelit ... or just stick with plasma?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: backlit led vs edgelit ... or just stick with plasma?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Someone still make edgelite TV?

I think that's history as price of backlited comes down in price.

- Collapse -
Most LED TV's today are edge lit because consumers

have a thinness fetish.

- Collapse -
CNet note
- Collapse -
Full backlit LED TV's are more generally more expensive

than their edge lit counterparts (more led's and more circuitry means more expense). The only thing edge lit models have going for them is an ability to be ultra-thin.

If picture quality is one of your number one concerns, I would look at Plasma or backlit LED with local dimming (skip the edge lit models). Which works best for you will largely depend on your needs and viewing conditions. Plasmas produce deep rich pictures but don;t work so well in really bright rooms with little or no ability for solar control. If you do a lot of daytime watching then LED might be the way to go since it can really crank the brightness. Plasmas are a better value but they are a lot heavier. Backlit LED's are light but cost significantly more than a plasma for the same screen size. The gap between them however is narrowing more and more everyday.

- Collapse -
Interesting...

Ok. So edgelit is typically more for just the thin factor. Got it.

I've been debating on sticking to plasma simply because the price has significantly dropped this year.
Especially for the larger (+50") sizes. Weight is not really a factor as they'll be wall mounted. Plus sunlight in the room is a non-factor as well for me. I'll probably not get a 3D tv yet because we have 2 baby boys and I've imagined scenarios where they grab the glasses and pretend they're chew toys!!

Any summarization for the whole 'local dimming' feature? Thanks for all the responses.

- Collapse -
Plasmas

My son and I recently bought two of the new Panasonic mid-line "S" model Plasmas, and they've resolved some of the brightness issues. A 50" is only $899. Excellent TVs. Before you make a decision, you should spend time at a store looking at both LED and Plasma sets. I've spent a lot of time with a Samsung LED 240Hz, and LED isn't good to me. I personally don't think the colors are natural and they're just too bright and look like an overly bright Jumbotron screen. But that's just me. Some people love the fact that you can watch an LED with the sun shining directly on the screen. Also, take a look at 240Hz TVs because to me, this adds some very strange artifacts. The Plasma sets are not affected by fast motion because of their display technology, so they don't need to do weird things like 240Hz. Anyways, go look at them for yourself, then decide.

- Collapse -
Edgelit is for thin factor?

Not really but it's one of its side effect (might be a good selling point, but I doubt it). "local dimming" give the tv great contrast ratio which in turn suppose to give you better picture quality. You be the judge.

- Collapse -
Edge-lit LED TV's are cheaper to build.

A happy side effect of the technology is that they can be very thin as well which the don't hesitate to exploit as a feature. And people love thin and cheap anything even if it means they are getting worse picture quality.

Hence, the majority of LED Tv's out there are edge lit because the manufacturers are trying to appeal to the broadest market possible. So the thicker more expensive backlit LED models take a rear seat to their sexier edge-lit cousins even though they have superior picture quality.

CNET Forums

Forum Info