Resolved Question

Backlighting only with new LCD screen

The LCD screen on my Dell latitude D630 had vertical lines of many colors and a few black blotches. I was able to see only a few words on the left side of the screen behind the vertical lines. I attached an external monitor and everything worked fine while on external monitor.
Thinking I had a bad LCD screen...I replaced the LCD screen with a new one that came with a new inverter. Then I only got backlighting showing on the screen. I tried another NEW LCD screen, replaced the LCD cable with new one and still have the same problem..only see backlighting. If I attach to an external monitor then everything is fine while on external monitor. Please help me trouble shoot this farther. Where do I go from here?

Discussion is locked
Innerspark1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Backlighting only with new LCD screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Backlighting only with new LCD screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Video/screen

Assuming that the replacement screen and ALL connections are correct to that particular unit then the assumption would be that it is a motherboard issue related to onboard video.

- Collapse -
Video/Screen

If there is an issue on the motherboard related to onboard video would it still be possible to have a normal display on an EXTERNAL monitor?

- Collapse -
Not so sure you have a motherboard problem

I'm not so sure it's the onboard video that's the problem; if the external monitor works fine, then in my opinion, it's likely the onboard graphics is perfectly fine. Do you think it could be that Windows can't see the new LCD screen?

Maybe Windows is supplying power to the new LCD screen and that's why the backlighting is turning on, but it doesn't yet know to send video to it.

The first thing to confirm is whether the external monitor is still connected to the D630 when you're trying to get video on the new LCD screen; if it is still connected, try shutting down the laptop, then disconnecting the external monitor, and then starting up the laptop. Maybe this will force Windows to look for a display to render to.

Otherwise, depending on which OS you're using, it might be worth keeping the external monitor attached and then right clicking on your desktop and selecting the 'Graphics Properties' option (if you haven't got this option, you'll probably need to go into control panels and double click the 'monitor' icon, or whichever icon relates to your monitor). Once there, it's worth checking to see whether Windows can see the new LCD screen, and whether it gives you the option to switch from the external monitor to the LCD screen. Hopefully it might be as simple as just switching between the two monitors using this utility.

Good luck in getting this sorted Innerspark1 Happy

CNET Forums