Samsung forum

General discussion

Backlight bleed through. An ongoing story.

by UKTexan / July 31, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

Hi, I've had 18 months of madness with my TVs. A Sony DLP had a wonderful picture - for 2 years, then blacks went blue-ish. A new light engine was fitted by Sears extended deal. Wouldn't focus. New bulb!1?? wouldn't focus. New light engine. Wouldn't focus. Money back/credit. $4,600 I signed for in repairs. zero to me of course.

There was not a finger mark on this set when I got the box from the attic. The guy then hauled the monster out by himself, AND SLID IT ACROSS THE CONCRETE into the box. End of DLPs I ordered a 46" Samsung.

It was delivered in a pickup. I'm not kidding, and I had it replaced. Irony is, it was better than the one the two nice guys replaced it with. Again not a finger mark on this set. Back light blead on dark scenes. Call Sears. He says it's normal. Okay, put up with it. But then, Samsung call and ask if everything is okay. I say, well, now that you mention it. No. They send their 'own' tekkie. Huh! After I'd been speaking for 10 mins I realized he couldn't speak English. He then podded the screen so hard the colours all distorted. I could never clean the screen. Waste of time not putting a finger mark on it. Sheeesh!

New Screen. Okay. two weeks, backlight bleed through agian. Samsung ARE UNABLE TO SEND ME A NEW TV. Could I get one from a store?
ARE THEY KIDDING??? Anyway, they cut me a check. Fine.

New 46" LED. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!! The back light bleed is as bad - if not worse - than the LCD. Patches of light over left of screen in dark scenes. Right side, fine. I have a few more days to resolve this or get my money back. I've said I'll try one more set to see if it's a one-off problem.

By the way, I was a t/v tekkie and heading a department at age 18. I've had a loooooooong time in the business, and where I come from, a next day fix would be an embarrassingly long time to keep a customer waiting.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backlight bleed through. An ongoing story.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backlight bleed through. An ongoing story.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!