General discussion

BACKING UP WIN XP, THEN BUYING WIN 7. ANY PROBLEMS?

I plan on buying a new laptop with WIN 7. I currently backup my entire desktop XP system on an external hardrive. I have many photos and data stored on CDs, DVDs and "thumb drives" from my XP system.
1-Are there any issues regarding the usability of those backups on WIN 7 that I should be aware of?
2-I intend to use WINDOW 7 UPGRADE ADVISOR on my current system to check compatibility issues. My printer and scanner will be connected. Should I also connect my external hard drives?
Thanks for this forum and its excellent discussions. Everyone connected with this endeavor is to be thanked and greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BACKING UP WIN XP, THEN BUYING WIN 7. ANY PROBLEMS?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BACKING UP WIN XP, THEN BUYING WIN 7. ANY PROBLEMS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
XP to Win 7

Because you are doing a clean install, nothing from your XP system can be backed up to the Win 7 except for data: pictures, music, documents, etc. No programs will copy over from the system backup; you will need to reinstall ALL of your applications. Don't connect anything to the computer during the installation except for an internet connection. All the external hardware will also need to be reinstalled using drivers compatible with Win 7.

- Collapse -
Just one thing.

Where is the backup? Backup is more than one copy. I've watched others, read too many sad stories where the last copy was on some external drive and something happens.

Is what you can't lose on more than one media?
Bob

- Collapse -
Re using XP backup.

You can't use the XP backup to restore in Windows 7.
When you purchase Windows 7 use the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings for use in W7.
To use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard in XP:
Browse to the DVD drive on your computer and click migsetup.exe in the Support\Migwiz directory.
As Bob said make sure you have backup copies on secure media.

- Collapse -
to R. Proffitt

yes! excellent question.
I have had the horrible experience of losing EVERYTHING!! on an external hard drive because it "died" and my PC hard drive also "died". So no backup was available. I now have two external hard drives as backup PLUS
MOZY online backup. Hopefully I am "safe".

- Collapse -
About MOZY and from OS to OS.

There are some issues I hope they cleared up.

From XP to 7 our 'home' directory was renamed and can cause backup and restore problems.

XP was C:\Documents and Settings.
7 is now C:\Users

You can imagine that backup software has been lagging to handle that big change.
Bob

CNET Forums