Resolved Question

Backing up to a EX Hard drive

Hello,

If someone wanted to clone a hard drive, is it feasible to use a External Hard drive by transferring the entire Main drive by a 3.0 USB to the External Hard drive..

Discussion is locked
zappervaq130 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Backing up to a EX Hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Backing up to a EX Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Yes

Usb1.......no.......too slow.
Usb2.......iffy.......better
Usb3.......yes......better/better.

I run a hd>hd clone monthly.......works fine.
It's not a blink of an eye thing but in 4 or 5 mins it's done.

- Collapse -
Question

Should had said in my original posting that my intentions are to back up or clone my hard drive in the event of a crash, so looking to duplicate my current main drive, so would it be cloning????

- Collapse -
Cloning is ...

where you have a drive and clone it to another drive of the same size which makes the second drive an exact copy of the first drive.

Imaging a drive allows you to create an image file of a drive or partition on another drive where the drive only has to be bigger than the image. This image is not bootable like a cloned drive but it is considerably smaller and allows you to write several image files to the same drive for storage. The image is then used on a new drive should the original drive crash or can be used on the original drive should the drive be hard hit by viruses or other problems.

- Collapse -
Question

Should had mentioned that my intentions is to back up or clone my main drive to this other drive in the event that my main drive crashes, then should it be cloning????

- Collapse -
Clone vs image

A clone is an exact copy of the orig hd........bootable.
An image is a compressed copy of the orig hd......not bootable.

Pro's and con's to each method.

I use a clone because it's faster.
I have a few spare hd's and rotate the units.
Works for me.
Your call.

- Collapse -
I find the image backup to be faster.

The clone job has to duplicate and write empty areas to the target drive so here, the clone takes much longer than an image backup.

Both satisfy slightly different goals.
Bob

- Collapse -
Speed

The last time I tested this.

Image.......a little less than 7 mins.
Clone.......a little more than 5 mins.

Since the amount of data on the hd has grown I'll take a guess.

The image time will have gone up.
The clone time will remain the same.

The op can run their own test to see what's best for them.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks, for your replies, it really helped.

- Collapse -
Answer
Do that all the time.

In my case I boot up Clonezilla and save a new image. Since this is smaller than the clone I can get a few backups on each external. Clonezilla is free but folk that can't select a number off a menu may be challenged.
Bob

CNET Forums