General discussion

Backing up outlook express to cd from Application Data folde

Hi

I got instructions some where to backup outlook express email to cd by using the C:/Windows/ApplicationData/ folder. Win 98.

I can open the cd on my computer, but can't open it on a dell with xp and outlook express.

If i delete all my messages in outlook express will i still be able to read them from the cd on my own computer?

I am not trying to restore them, i just want them saved.

Not sure why i can't read them on the other computer, when i can on mine?

I do know how to save them in text or eml but was told this was a simpler way to back up the outlook express email? These show an mbx and dbx and idx extension in the Application Data folder.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Backing up outlook express to cd from Application Data folde
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Backing up outlook express to cd from Application Data folde
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The easy way. . .

Create a folder on the HD called OEBackup. Now go to my site below and click on the Software link. Scroll down to OEBackup and download and install it. Select the folder you created for the backup and run the program, backing up OE to that folder. It will back up everything associated with OE including user data.

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

- Collapse -
outlook express backup

Thanks
I found your links, if i run this is there an export , import issue here ot just a backup to burn to cd?
thanks

- Collapse -
Just backup and burn. . .

Then use the program to restore if needed from the CD.

Wayne

- Collapse -
outlook express

ok
thanks
will give it a try.

- Collapse -
outlook express backup

I got a corrupted file error message on your software download for OE, I have power archeiver. It said something about .sfx?

- Collapse -
Excuse me for butting in,

but I am not clear what you are trying to do.

If you only want to save the emails you have received, try bthis;

On your 98 computer, create a temporary folder on your desktop, then in Outlook Express, goto File > Save As, and save each of them to your temporary folder on the desktop.

Then burn the folder to a CD, and copy the folder over to the newer PC in your My Documents folder, and then open up Outlook Express, goto Tools > Options, and click the Manage tab, click the Store Folder, make a note of the path to your Outlook Express folder, then move the folder in My Documents to the Outlook Express folder.

Then, when you open up Outlook Express again, you will see the new folder listed on the left, with all your saved emails inside.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info