PC Applications forum

General discussion

Backing up of Hard Drive

by ghh1941 / August 1, 2004 11:36 PM PDT

What would be the most reliable software to totally mirror one Hard Drive to another? This is incase one Hard Drive fails, I can just plug in the backup and keep on going.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up of Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up of Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Backing up of Hard Drive
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 12:00 AM PDT

The problem is that even plugging in another drive, copying it with Ghost and removing the drive has some risk involved since some may drop the drive or not know about ESD.

It's rare for the hard disk to fail, but very common to delete the wrong file.

Bob

Collapse -
by ghh1941 / August 2, 2004 11:42 PM PDT

The old gray matter is not what it use to be, so if you would, please tell me what ESD stands for? I will probably regret asking this. ... Thanks

Collapse -
Electro Static Discharge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 3:11 AM PDT

Many will not know to touch a grounded case beyond reaching for the unprotected drive. Some will not place the drive in an antistatic bag.

Type WHAT IS ESD at http://www.google.com for too much information.

bob

Collapse -
by jconner / August 2, 2004 2:18 AM PDT

RAID mirroring. In lieu of that,

Get something like drive copy / partition magic to do drive to drive copies. This is meant to copy small drives to larger drives but will make an exact copy such that you can replace the primary with this drive in a failure. This becomes that drives only use and is time consuming (add a new drive, copy , remove that drive).

Other specialty backup schemes such as Adaptec's NOVASTOR provide images that can be restored from other media such as CD, Tape, DVD or external drives such as firewire or USB.

This leaves those devices for other usages as well and the backup processes can be automated. I found a good external drive on USB makes a great backup system. It is fast and with a bootable CD device easy to reconstruct the system in a catestrophic failure.

Collapse -
by joehawk1 / August 4, 2004 11:29 AM PDT

I like using a Mobile Rack, with the ability to store the backup hardrive in the protective tray, and I can slide it into the computer in seconds. I have had the best results for mirroring with Acronis TrueImage. It takes me only a few minutes to restore my backup to a brand new hardrive, operating system with all programs and data included. Can't tell it's a new hardrive after a 15 minute restore from mirror made on my backup hardrive, which I can remove for safety, in case of fire or theft for eg:.

Collapse -
by Tman1 / August 4, 2004 3:02 PM PDT

Norton Ghost works rather well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!