Computer Help forum

General discussion

Backing up Music files

by trblcmn / September 13, 2004 5:02 PM PDT

I have over 1200 songs that I legally purchased and downloaded. I basically keep them on my computer and rarely make cd's from them. I am wanting to back them up but I am having a hard time doing it. I tried the back up on XP and the files and settings wizard, but it tells me I need over 100 cd-r's to accomodate the size to download. I have also tried doing the compressed zipped folder route, but it takes forever and a day to do just 20 songs.

There has got to be a better way to back up my music than 100 cd-r's? Any suggestion's???? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up Music files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up Music files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Backing up Music files
by Kees Bakker / September 13, 2004 6:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Backing up Music files

Calculate yourself:
- CD-R(W) 700 Mb
- DVD-R(W)/DVD+R(W): 4 Gb
- new two layer DVD: 8 Gb
Explorer tells you how much Mb each file you want to backup contains.

Alternatives:
- Professional tape backup device.
- External removable hard drive (USB connected): http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=removable+hard+drive
- Buy a second hand Windows 98 computer ($150?). Install a big enough harddisk ($100?) and make a home-network or direct cable connection ($30). Then copy everything you want to this backup drive. No need to have it turned on regularly, just to do the backups. And check it once a month.

Note the consequences of DRM (Digital Rights Management). You probably can't make an infinite number of copies.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by billzhills / September 13, 2004 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
by AussiePete / September 13, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

why not get something like an IPOD - about $100 and they store about 40gig and you can use then like a walkman - but with that much valueable music i would be storing them on 2 hard disk - one as back up - and the other as a backup of the backup!!!!!

Collapse -
by Art / September 14, 2004 3:58 AM PDT

You know what..100 cdr is only $10-$15. If you were to achived it as data files, it should be fairly fast. Just another way.

Collapse -
by Yew / September 14, 2004 4:33 AM PDT

The discs themsevles are cheap, but consider the effort of storing and then sorting through those 100 CDs. Not to mention that depending on environmental factors, and quality of workmanship, CDs can go bad rather quickly.

However, assuming the person doesn't want to simply store 100 CDs with valuable data on them on the spindle the discs came on, you have to factor in the price of a CD binder or cases and a CD rack capable of holding all 100 CDs. Estimating on the cheap side, of $25 for a binder able to hold 108 CDs, that puts the price at around $35-$40, which would be for an el cheapo binder. A more quality binder would probably be around $30-$40 on its own.

The discs themselves are only one component in the equation here.

Collapse -
Re: A simpler solution
by Stan Chambers / September 14, 2004 7:25 AM PDT

If the files are MP3 format, you can simply burn them as a data cd. I get between 200 to 300 songs on a data cd. You want be able to play the cd's in a cd player, but it's a simple solution for back-up.
If ever you lose you hdd and all the data, you can easily copy the files back from the cd's.
If by chance the songs are wave files, you will need to obtain software, such as Goldwave or other to convert the files to MP3 format, or other smaller than wave.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 14, 2004 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: A simpler solution

Thanks for all the ideas, you all make very good points. I don't think I want to make 100 cd's, I'd have to factor in all the time to do each one too.

I'm thinking of trying the data cd route again, maybe I did something wrong the first time? I also have an older laptop that I will see if I can transfer them to that, have to check on the hard drive.

I could always splurge on a dvd-rw or mp3 player, don't think the hubby would mind...lol! I'll try the cheaper solutions first before I go spending $$$.

Thanks again, it's always nice knowing I can get some real honest advice here at this forum.

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / September 14, 2004 10:55 AM PDT

You didn't say what burning software that you use, but it should have the option to burn a data.
In Nero Burning Rom the option is ISO cd.
This method shouldn't require more than 6 or 7 cdr media. Very inexpensive method of back-up.

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 14, 2004 4:39 PM PDT

Okay, I was trying to do the data cd thing and I'm having a hard time with it. I'm using Roxio and when I go to put it on the cd it tells me it has 78 min to transfer etc. Two hours later it tells me it now has 46 minutes remaining. I end up having to restart my computer.

What's the easiest way to do this procedure? I've tried a couple different ways, I must not be doing something right.

Collapse -
by Art / September 14, 2004 5:05 PM PDT

What format are the songs are in now on the harddrive?

Collapse -
by billzhills / September 15, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

Are you using Roxio thur Windows Media Player?

Depending on your burners writing speed a stand alone application should burn a 78 min music CD in less than 20 min, data in even less time.

If you need to purchase an application make sure that it is on the vendors support list.

Bill

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 15, 2004 3:39 AM PDT

It burned the first cd under 15 minutes, but then locked up and wouldn't finish the session. The majority of my songs are mp3format, a few mp4(so it says) and a few .wma.

I'm going to try another cd and see what happens.

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 15, 2004 4:17 AM PDT

I'm keeping my fingers crossed once again, but I think I've got it to work. I'm doing my second cd now. It hasn't locked up. *knockonwood*

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 15, 2004 9:57 AM PDT

Well, I had no problems making data cd's. Used 7 cd-r's, but now the computer won't read it or my laptop. It says Disk not formatted, cannot read from this disk, may be corrupted.etc etc.

So do I have to format and them copy my music over???? I tried the format but then I can't get alot of songs on it and that's when it takes forever and a day to copy over.

I was hoping the data cd's would work and save me some time. I guess I'll have to get some cables and hook up to my laptop and transfer them over.

Collapse -
by Art / September 15, 2004 11:53 AM PDT

Is that what you did, you formated the disk first (InCD)? No, you do not want to use that method of copying data. You should use mutisession methd (I think that is what is called) Pre-fomat is not required. By the way, what version of Roxio is yours?

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 15, 2004 12:45 PM PDT

I copied my music to 7 cd-r's as data cd's. Then I went to try one in my laptop and desktop and was told they were not formatted and they could not be read and possibly may be corrupted.

So I took a new cd-r and formatted it and tried to copy music to it and found it to be slow and caused me all kinds of problems.

I do not know why my data cd's cannot be read? Am I missing something?

My Roxio Easy CD Creator is version 5.2.0.56.

Collapse -
by Art / September 15, 2004 5:52 PM PDT

I am not certain about this but when you format the disk, you will be using it like a floppy (directCD) which maybe in conflict with XP. Xp has a builtin version of direct (I was told).

The disks that you make, without format, did it work ok on the cd drive that make the disk itself? If it works ok then maybe the session on the cd/s need to be closed before the other computer can use it.

I maybe guessing abit here because I use Nero express and have not use Roxio for awhile now. My last version was ver.4

Hope someone will come up with a solution for you.

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 15, 2004 6:32 PM PDT

I tried copying to the disk and finalizing the cd with the same results. The finalized or not finalized disk give me the same error on either drive.

Error message says:
(Title)Disk is not formatted
Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

Does Nero work for you? Have you made data cd's with music files. I want to copy the files so I can clean up my desktop pc, reinstall XP and then put the files back on the pc.

I think I need some sleep, this computer's gonna be the death of me...lol!

Collapse -
by megselv / September 15, 2004 12:19 PM PDT

First of all use mp3 converting software and convert the files to MP3. Send the file to the burning station and burn the file as data file you need maybe 10 CD

Collapse -
"disk is not formated"...
by Art / September 16, 2004 5:16 AM PDT

That sounds like you have "directCD" installed. How about go in there and uninstall it and see if that will help you. To my thinking (when it ask you to format) the cd media is blank; Does it seem like it has been written to?

My copy of Nero Express actually came with my dvd writer and I really like it a lot (I think it's version 5.5.10).

Collapse -
Did a data burn...
by Art / September 16, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

Ok, I installed my Roxio 4 deluxe and do a data burn on a cd. it works beautifully. 3 computer=6 cd drives (no problem). I really don't know what to say at this point.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 16, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

There might be something wrong with the cd-burner, if a cd burned without error messages can't be read on another computer. Can it be read on the drive it's written on?

No need to write a cd full with mp3's to test. Some files from My Documents or Windows suffice. And it might be cheaper to test with a CD-RW then burn CD's continually. But a CD-RW might need to be reformatted in between.

Maybe it's best to have a shop look at what's wrong. They can see more than we do, with the machine at hand.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 16, 2004 4:04 PM PDT

Well, there is nothing wrong with my burner or my cd player on my pc and desktop. Donn't know what is going on. I tried updating my Roxio and did another Data cd and it's still giving me the same error...except when I to open it on the E: (cd-rw burner) it shows nothing and won't do anything.

I'm trying to hook up my pc and laptop through a network connection and see if I can transfer the files that way. If not I will get a direct cable hooked up.

Thanks for all the advice. I have never not been able to solve a problem on this computer, but I guess there is a first time for everything.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 16, 2004 5:43 PM PDT

Some more things to try:

*Update your burner's drivers and firmware.
*Defrag your Hard Disk
*Close all open programs and also use (Ctr+Alt+Del) to
close down programs running in the background, leaving
Explorer and Systray.
*Clean up your disk (Temp files, etc)
*Scan and clean up viruses and other parasites

A burning job requires a clean and stable environment.

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 17, 2004 3:48 AM PDT

Thanks, I do these things all the time. I don't have a problem copying to the cd, everything seems to work right for that. It's when I go to open it on a drive that the problems start now.

Collapse -
by trblcmn / September 18, 2004 9:07 AM PDT

Okay, I downloaded a free trial of Burn Disk and got the exact same results with the error. Makes it seem like it's my cd-r drives on my pc and laptop...weird!

Anyway, I'm done messing with this darned thing and I'm gonna look at a network connection or a direct cable.

Thanks all!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?