Windows 7 forum

Question

BACKING UP FILES

I've got to back up my files before disaster strikes. From what I've read doing a mirror backup seems best so I'm asking the experts what is the best external HDD to get ?

My laptop is a HP dv7 3085dx 64bit Hm.prem. with a fire wire (1394) port. I have a two ended male firewire cable that I'd like to use if there was an Ext.HDD having the same port for file transfer. Otherwise, I could use the slower USB 2.0

Thanks for help with this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BACKING UP FILES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BACKING UP FILES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd use eSATA

In reply to: BACKING UP FILES

If I read the specs right at the HP web site, this laptop has eSATA which I've used in the past, and it works very well. I'm currently using USB 3, but I see this laptop doesn't have USB 3. I've never used Firewire, but I understand its speed is close to that of USB 3. I'd say that if you can find an external hard drive with eSATA or IEEE 1394, you'd do well. Bear in mind that most of the external hard drives run at 5400 rpm, so I use enclosures with the features I want and put 7200 rpm hard drives in them.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Remember that even the best failed.

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7588_102-5554028.html?tag=posts;msg5554028 covers this.

Now about backup. That's more than one copy on more than one device or location. This area has been covered for decades. I began learning about this in the 70's so not much has changed as we move forward except folk want something 100% reliable and unfailing. We're not there yet.

My backup is no less than 3 external drives, synced as I have time and then some usb memory sticks with a select set of folders I can't lose. To top that off I have some items up on Dropbox that may survive destruction of all my backups and sticks.
Bob
Collapse -
Regarding speed of the interface.

In reply to: Remember that even the best failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNWYVJqj3E at 8 minutes has them all up on screen at the same time.

HOWEVER I encountered USB 3.0 troubles over the years and use 2.0 without that issue so I will write that go with USB for now and don't fret too much about 2 or 3. If 3.0 is fine, you'll want that.
Bob
Collapse -
BACKING UP FILES

In reply to: Regarding speed of the interface.

Good info all. I should have mentioned that a "mirror copy" is what I am looking to accomplish. I also think my firewire isn't 800 as from looking at the video, the cable ends look different. I also read previously that West.Digital is the better choice for copying to.

Collapse -
For mirror copy, I don't but why?

A mirror copy would have me duplicating the entire drive and having one copy per external. Seems wasteful since I can, with say CLONEZILLA backup my laptop's internal drive to a folder on said external. Since I don't fill my internal drive I can keep 3 backup versions of my laptop on a single external HDD.

And using Syncback or another sync app I can sync that when I feel like it with my backup HDDs.

Most laptops don't have firewire today so it would be a strange choice if recovery is what we are after. USB is ubiquitous today.
Bob

Collapse -
BACKING UP FILES

In reply to: For mirror copy, I don't but why?

My laptop has firewire400 (4pin), USB2.0 and eSATA ports. I guess the thing I want to know is what is faster for transfer excluding the USB. Can I transfer using the eSATA port and if so is it faster than the 1394 (4 pin firewire) port ?

I've done some searching for external drives and haven't found one with 1394 and eSATA. My eSATA port is the 4th USB shared.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Some reading

Collapse -
BACKING UP FILES

In reply to: Some reading

So if I understand, I would want to look for a ext. HDD that has a eSATA port and then i need the correct eSATA cable ?

thanks !

Collapse -
Yes

Use care with those enclosures.
Some of them turn into hdd cookers.

Collapse -
Sure. But with eSATA you need power.

I skipped all the work and tinkering. Speed means little if it's too gimmicky.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!