HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Backing up files.

by bigredfan_1 / March 13, 2007 11:32 PM PDT

I'd like to back up all my files. Can this be done easily?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes/Maybe
by Bob__B / March 14, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Backing up files.

Data backup is a method.

You pick a method that fits your needs.

Google>>>hard drive image.

See if that method will fit your needs.

Collapse -
Depends On What You Want & What You Have..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

You've told us nothing about the computer and exactly which files you're referring to, assuming they are "computer" files that you're asking about..

Do you have a backup program installed?

Do you have a DVD or CD writer? If so, which one?

Do you also have the burning software that goes with such hardware?

Which operating system?

For what reason are you doing the backup? Are you transferring the files to another computer or are you simply making a copy of the files in case of disaster?

Do you have the Recovery Discs that came with the computer?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Disaster backups? Use another internal hard drive.
by Knowbody49 / March 18, 2007 3:24 AM PDT

My husband wants to install a 2nd internal hard drive on his HP for back ups in case the first hard drive fails or a power surge happens. Also wants to put all data on this 2nd internal in order to reformat the first hard drive. (He likes to reformat for some reason). I say put it on external hard drives (I have WDigital) or even store it online and out of the house. What do you suggest?
Also, can you use a flash drive or 'thumb' drive or USB drive to store photos on when you are travelling. Are these drives all the same?

Collapse -
Internal or External, Little Difference For Backups
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

Just my opinion here.. but if lightning strikes, either one would probably be damaged UNLESS the external drive had been removed to a different location..

Much of the discussion about backups is related to the value and importance of the backups.. We've had folks on these forums who had spent years on a project and when their HD went down, they lost it all.. Either an internal or and external HD will provide a good location for large amounts of backed up files but it's important to recognize that ANY hard drive can die and if the files are extremely important, such as family pictures and work documents, I try to make backups of the backups..

My secondary backups are generally made with DVD or CD media and placed in my safety deposit box.

And yes, flash drives are great for storing any type of file.. Pictures, documents, program installation files.. I'm not sure that all the drives are the "same" but I've currently got three different small drives with different brand names (2 with 512 MB and 1 with 1 GB) and I've had no problem with any of them.. As far as their value for extremely long term storage, they are fairly new and we'll have to wait for the verdict.. I've seen a few lose data because of formatting problems and that could be disastrous when dealing with important data.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
easiest way out...
by marcelomdsc / March 20, 2007 6:33 AM PDT

the easiest way out i to just buy a external drive, which ussualy comes with backup software and one touch backup whatever, and you are done, but if you dont want to spend money, i would use somehting like norton ghost. using an external hard drive also is good in case your computer blows up, you will still have a back up somewhere else...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.